Hawk attack, need input

ObiWanGnomie

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2023
Hawk hit my group of 3. One hen had the skin torn off her side. Thinking I should put her down unless someone has advice otherwise.

20230328_140254.jpg

It looks bad and is painful but if she's survives the shock, she'll be fine.
Give her sugar water and apply neosporin to the area, especially that puncture.

Thanks for the input.

On advice from another thread i bought Hibiclens from CVS as it has Chlorhexidine gluconate. tractor supply only had huge jug of the active ingredient. Sprayed area with water, then Chlorhexidine, then water then some wound and skin care liquid bandage. Put some antibiotic over much of it last.

I'll be surprised if she makes it. Wing is also damaged and its a bigger area than the image let's on. Hard to keep her still as my small flock aren't exactly pets.

Last edited:
The wound doesn't look too bad to me, and cleaning it like you did is what I would have done. I'd also do like @nuthatched suggested and apply Neosporin. If she were mine, I would keep her in a quiet, warm place with access to food and water. If not drinking, I would tube feed fluids.

Hard to tell but she feels warm this morning. Cleaned her up and reapplied a generic neosporin again. Been doing this 2x/ day. She ate some yesterday.

Still laying eggs. Are they safe for consumption or should we throw them out until she gets better?

The eggs should be fine. I'm surprised she's laying but that's good. It means that nothing is really wrong.

Thanks for the input.

On advice from another thread i bought Hibiclens from CVS as it has Chlorhexidine gluconate. tractor supply only had huge jug of the active ingredient. Sprayed area with water, then Chlorhexidine, then water then some wound and skin care liquid bandage. Put some antibiotic over much of it last.

I'll be surprised if she makes it. Wing is also damaged and its a bigger area than the image let's on. Hard to keep her still as my small flock aren't exactly pets.
Chlorhexidine needs to be left on the wound to be effective. Don't wash it off.
Make sure you get the Chlorhexidine under any loose skin flaps. You can decide what to do about the skin flaps once the hen is shwing signs of recovery.

Ok. I had been spray rinsing the chlorhexidine after a minute. Ill stop doing that. This mornings image.

Attachments

• 20230330_093017.jpg
    20230330_093017.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom