Hawk Attack? Pleas Help!!

Squeak61

Songster
5 Years
May 22, 2017
Connecticut
Hello! My chickens earlier got attacked by a hawk, and I thought they were all ok. Upon further investigation, one chicken has medium depth puncture wounds in her side. I can't go to the vet, but I really don't want her to die. Is there anything I can do; please help!

Hello! My chickens earlier got attacked by a hawk, and I thought they were all ok. Upon further investigation, one chicken has medium depth puncture wounds in her side. I can't go to the vet, but I really don't want her to die. Is there anything I can do; please help!
How does she act? If she is not bleeding and acts fair. I would gently clean the wound and apply something anti-bact-ointment, Well I use Blu-kote but figuring you do have any of that laying around. She will heal.

Last edited:
How does she act? If she is not bleeding and acts fair. I would gently clean the wound and apply something anti-bact-ointment, Well I use Blu-kote but figuring you do have not got any of that laying around. She will heal.
She's not bleeding, but she is acting wierd. I'll try to clean her up, and you're right, I don't have any Blu-Kote. Thanks for the help :)

She's not bleeding, but she is acting wierd. I'll try to clean her up, and you're right, I don't have any Blu-Kote. Thanks for the help :)
I have had them to get attacked by a hawk, but seems they get a peck on the head or neck, but yours probably got a claw puncture----Its probably in shock. See how it acts in the morning. Good Luck

Well you need to buy some Blue-Koe either from Amazon or tractor supply or spme other feed store and spray it directly on the wound.
I personally would lock her up in a dog crate in garage and pply like bag balm to the wound till you get the Blue-Kote to spray on.
Also I would give her and the whole flock this
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR YOUR CHICKENS HEALTH.
Glenda Heywood...
ACV by Bragg's is sold by Amazon and at Walmart. (remember to get Bragg's as it has the "brown mother" in the bottom of the bottle.)
My Daughter JoAnna Mertz feeds this wet mash probiotic several times a week to our 10 hens, 5 buff orpingtons 5plymouth rocks, and they are eating it up in 30 minutes.

To make the WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE HERE IT IS
(A) TAKE 2 CUPS OF DRY CRUMBLES OR PELLETS,
(B) 1 TSP OF DRY FLAX SEED MEAL (THAT IS FOR HUMANS)
(C) PUT 4 CUPS OF MILK ANY KIND SOUR
OR FRESH, 1 tbsp of dry flax seed meal,
(D) AND 2 TBSP OF THE BRAGG;S ACV.

(E) ALSO 1 /2CUP OF UNFLAVORED YOUGART.

(F) MIX GOOD. PUT IT IN GLASS CONTAINER, AND KEEP ON THE COUNTER OVER NIGHT.

(G) IF IN THE MORNING YOU CAN ADD ANOTHER CUP OF MILK TO THE MIX TO MAKE IT SOLUBLE, like cookie dough, not soupy,

(H) DO NOT MAKE IT SOUPY AS CHICKENS DO NOT LIKE IT SOUPY.
(I) IF THE MIX IS OKAY IN THE MORNING AND NOT TOO DRY FEED IT IN THE GLASS CONTAINER SO ALL THE CHICKENS CAN GET TO IT.

(J) I USED 2 VERY LARGE GLASS PIE PLATES. AND THEN CLEAN THE PIE PLATES BY BRING THEM BACK TO THE HOUSE.

(K) FEED THIS AMOUNT TO EACH CHICKEN 3 tbsp of mix when wet, so make your recipe to fit all amount of chickens to be fed.
(LJ) WHEN MIXING FOR 1 CHICKEN DO THISIE: take 3 tbsp of dry feed and add 6 tbsp of milk, 1/4 tsp of dry flax seed meal, 1 tbsp of yougart plain kind, 1 tsp ACV,

(M) nOW IF THE CHICKEN ISSICK ADD THIS TO THE WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
(L) 1 Vit E capsule buy cutting end of capsule off and squeezing it into the wet mix.
(M) 1-Vit B tablet crushed in table spoon and add a little water to disolve crushed tablet and then add to wet mash
(N) 1- Selenium tablet crushed in tbsp and add little water to it and then add to wwet mash.
(O) now mx good and feed sick chuicken evey day for 7 days
(P) now feed it 5 times for second week.
(P) then 2 times a week frlife.
(Q) feed all healthy chickens 2 times a week for life WITH VITAMINS ONCE EVERY TWO WEEKS.

Well you need to buy some Blue-Koe either from Amazon or tractor supply or spme other feed store and spray it directly on the wound.
I personally would lock her up in a dog crate in garage and pply like bag balm to the wound till you get the Blue-Kote to spray on.
Also I would give her and the whole flock this
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR YOUR CHICKENS HEALTH.
Glenda Heywood...
ACV by Bragg's is sold by Amazon and at Walmart. (remember to get Bragg's as it has the "brown mother" in the bottom of the bottle.)
My Daughter JoAnna Mertz feeds this wet mash probiotic several times a week to our 10 hens, 5 buff orpingtons 5plymouth rocks, and they are eating it up in 30 minutes.

To make the WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE HERE IT IS
(A) TAKE 2 CUPS OF DRY CRUMBLES OR PELLETS,
(B) 1 TSP OF DRY FLAX SEED MEAL (THAT IS FOR HUMANS)
(C) PUT 4 CUPS OF MILK ANY KIND SOUR
OR FRESH, 1 tbsp of dry flax seed meal,
(D) AND 2 TBSP OF THE BRAGG;S ACV.

(E) ALSO 1 /2CUP OF UNFLAVORED YOUGART.

(F) MIX GOOD. PUT IT IN GLASS CONTAINER, AND KEEP ON THE COUNTER OVER NIGHT.

(G) IF IN THE MORNING YOU CAN ADD ANOTHER CUP OF MILK TO THE MIX TO MAKE IT SOLUBLE, like cookie dough, not soupy,

(H) DO NOT MAKE IT SOUPY AS CHICKENS DO NOT LIKE IT SOUPY.
(I) IF THE MIX IS OKAY IN THE MORNING AND NOT TOO DRY FEED IT IN THE GLASS CONTAINER SO ALL THE CHICKENS CAN GET TO IT.

(J) I USED 2 VERY LARGE GLASS PIE PLATES. AND THEN CLEAN THE PIE PLATES BY BRING THEM BACK TO THE HOUSE.

(K) FEED THIS AMOUNT TO EACH CHICKEN 3 tbsp of mix when wet, so make your recipe to fit all amount of chickens to be fed.
(LJ) WHEN MIXING FOR 1 CHICKEN DO THISIE: take 3 tbsp of dry feed and add 6 tbsp of milk, 1/4 tsp of dry flax seed meal, 1 tbsp of yougart plain kind, 1 tsp ACV,

(M) nOW IF THE CHICKEN ISSICK ADD THIS TO THE WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
(L) 1 Vit E capsule buy cutting end of capsule off and squeezing it into the wet mix.
(M) 1-Vit B tablet crushed in table spoon and add a little water to disolve crushed tablet and then add to wet mash
(N) 1- Selenium tablet crushed in tbsp and add little water to it and then add to wwet mash.
(O) now mx good and feed sick chuicken evey day for 7 days
(P) now feed it 5 times for second week.
(P) then 2 times a week frlife.
(Q) feed all healthy chickens 2 times a week for life WITH VITAMINS ONCE EVERY TWO WEEKS.
Thanks for all the information :)

Back
Top Bottom