Hawk Attack - Please Help

ChickieTeacher

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2015
West Central Florida
Today I caught a red tail under the coop with my girls. It tried to fly away with one of my oegb mixes but I intercepted. It had her by the leg. At first I didn't think she was going to make it at all because she just kept falling on her side and wouldn't move, but I think she was in shock. The only injury I can see is a puncture wound in her thigh. Shes walking a little bit but she's crossing her legs and stumbling around. I placed her in my small brooder coop by herself. Do hens pull through with leg injuries? Is there anything I should be doing for her? I feel horrible. :(

Today I caught a red tail under the coop with my girls. It tried to fly away with one of my oegb mixes but I intercepted. It had her by the leg. At first I didn't think she was going to make it at all because she just kept falling on her side and wouldn't move, but I think she was in shock. The only injury I can see is a puncture wound in her thigh. Shes walking a little bit but she's crossing her legs and stumbling around. I placed her in my small brooder coop by herself. Do hens pull through with leg injuries? Is there anything I should be doing for her? I feel horrible. :(
I'm glad your hen survived - and yes, it's possible for chickens to survive injuries like a leg wound. If you haven't already, you'll want to clean the wound (e.g., irrigate with saline) and apply a triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliever or a wound healing spray like Vetericyn. She may be in shock, so isolating her as you have and offering vitamins and electrolytes in her water (like Sav-A-Chick or Poultry Nutri-Drench) may also facilitate her recovery.

Hope she feels better soon. I have to live with hawks where I am, too, and it can be very frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom