Hawk attack...what to look for?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jencleg, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    One of my 2 1/2 month old BO pullets was attacked today, a hawk managed to get onto the dog kennel that they were playing in. We heard the babies, and my roo in the adjoining run going crazy & when I got out there, I saw a huge hawk trying to fly out of the kennel. 1 chick was in the corner untouched, but my lil Sadie was on the ground on her side. I thought she was dead, but my husband picked her up and she slowly started moving around. She doesnt have any punture wounds or blood. Her wing & leg seem injured, though she is walking better tonight. At first her wing would extend when she would try ot stand, but like her leg it seems a bit better. She is eating & drinking....what do I need to look for? When should she be out of the woods? The jerk was only in the kennel for about 1 minute maybe less... Thank you!!

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    just keep it warm and dry with food and water. The hawk will be back im sure so might want to sucure the pen with netting. Good luck!
    Quote:

3. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Thank you. I have already fixed the run...I had a piece of tin over the top, the same piece I used before, but it left about a 8 inch gap on the back side. They were only out there about 2 hours and my older chickens have been out there since April & I have NEVER even seen a hawk. I was shocked at how fast he found them. I am going to the basement to check on her now [​IMG]

4. RedRoosterFarm

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    How is she doing?
    Quote:

5. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    She seems good![​IMG] Walking kinda stiff, and she's a bit puffed up more than usual, but she looks ok! Thank you for asking & your advice [​IMG]

6. RedRoosterFarm

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    glad she is getting along and feeling better. Hope she can get back with the others soon. Hope the hawk goes somewhere else!
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by