Hawk Attack

Love your video and quick reaction. I was once standing by my open cellar door, broom in hand, with a flock of pigeons eating at my feet. In baseball I struck out a lot, but that broom and hawk met, hawk left, and pigeons scattered. Next day I found one of the pigeons in the cellar where he had retreated. Another time my granddaughters and I were standing by my pigeon loft when a Cooper's hawk hit the aviary next to us. "Do it again, Pa, do it again." They said. "Umm, no, I don't think so."

Young hawks are hungry and uneducated.

Love your video and quick reaction. I was once standing by my open cellar door, broom in hand, with a flock of pigeons eating at my feet. In baseball I struck out a lot, but that broom and hawk met, hawk left, and pigeons scattered. Next day I found one of the pigeons in the cellar where he had retreated. Another time my granddaughters and I were standing by my pigeon loft when a Cooper's hawk hit the aviary next to us. "Do it again, Pa, do it again." They said. "Umm, no, I don't think so."

Young hawks are hungry and uneducated.
Wow. Good for you. Maybe I’ll stand out there with a tennis racquet when I let them free range.

Any tips on scaring them away? Those owls that move? Hanging cds?

Ugh, something similar happened to me last week. Those hens running around and that terrible bawgawk means something's wrong. Deja vu.
That little black hen was making a beeline!
Can hawks really pick chickens up or are they out to just catch them and eat the chicken on the ground?
That hawk didn't seem that large.
Although when it hit you it probably did feel large!
Thanks for sharing...

Ugh, something similar happened to me last week. Those hens running around and that terrible bawgawk means something's wrong. Deja vu.
Can hawks really pick chickens up or are they out to just catch them and eat the chicken on the ground?
Thanks for sharing...
It doesn’t seem too large, does it? I’ve heard they are very strong though. Don’t know what he was going to do. I doubt he could’ve lifted her. Maybe he was a young one. Just so glad she ran towards me and not out into the yard. And I did feel it for about 30 mins. I was more concerned with little Piper. She’s the sweetest one.

Thanks for sharing...
Hopefully, everything turned out okay with yours last week!

Yeah the hawk missed. So everyone's ok.

My hens are in the covered pen now but the leaves are off the trees and every time a sizable bird flew by today the top hen alerted.

I kept running outside every time she alerted to see what the problem was!
Yeah the hawk missed. So everyone's ok.

My hens are in the covered pen now but the leaves are off the trees and every time a sizable bird flew by today the top hen alerted.

I kept running outside every time she alerted to see what the problem was!
We still have leaves coming down. Oak leaves were in the air everywhere, I imagine it’s harder to see a threat when so much is moving. Our rooster looks like he was running to help her. That’s sweet.

Woexpensive bobblehead oneGood for you. Maybe I’ll stand out there with a tennis racquet when I let them free range.

Any tips on scaring them away? Those owls that move? Hanging cds?
Yeah--no. I bought one of those owls--even the more expensive bobblehead one. Something decapitated it on day 2. BYC people had warned me, too. I have several cds, a friend's daughter's glittery pom poms and a Halloween scarecrow up. Not sure if any of that helps, or if it was me spending the long weekend in the yard, cutting hedges and glaring at the sky. Saw one several times and yelled at it. My neighbors think im awesome.

Back
Top Bottom