HAWK ATTACK

What I suggest is to build a nice big run that is well fenced and predator proof as you can get it, and then put a net over it. That's what I did. Now when the hawks stop by (the National Forest is right across the street, we have tons of hawks and owls) I just enjoy them.

If you watch videos of hawks in action, they are amazing flyers and can fit through the tiniest hole among the bushes and trees. Putting up CDs on fishing line, or plastic owls etc, may initially astonish them but they will become accustomed to it and they will attack again. They are highly intelligent and persistent predators, I guess I can't really blame them for wanting to eat, and alas, chickens are pretty easy to catch. Heck, even _I_ can catch one.

Really sorry for your loss... that is just so heartbreaking. :(

What I suggest is to build a nice big run that is well fenced and predator proof as you can get it, and then put a net over it. That's what I did. Now when the hawks stop by (the National Forest is right across the street, we have tons of hawks and owls) I just enjoy them.

If you watch videos of hawks in action, they are amazing flyers and can fit through the tiniest hole among the bushes and trees. Putting up CDs on fishing line, or plastic owls etc, may initially astonish them but they will become accustomed to it and they will attack again. They are highly intelligent and persistent predators, I guess I can't really blame them for wanting to eat, and alas, chickens are pretty easy to catch. Heck, even _I_ can catch one.

Really sorry for your loss... that is just so heartbreaking. :(
I'm concerned about using a net as the hawk may get trapped. Has anyone used fishing line like is used for seagulls?

No hawk has as much as tried. They can easily see they can not get the birds due to the netting. So no: no hawks caught in the net. They simply hunt other things. I still have tons of hawks in the yard all the time, and owls at night, but it's easy for them to see they can not get in there.

Not that it wouldn't be interesting to have a hawk caught in the net. I have handled raptors and feel good about doing so safely. I am not going to hold my breath though. These are smart birds.

So very sorry for your loss. My beautiful Wyandotte rooster was killed two days ago and all that was left was a huge pile of his beautiful feathers. The way your poor silkie died was even more traumatic. At least you've got her offspring to raise, so that's one good thing...

I am so sorry... we just had one our ducks attacked, thankfully she's still alive but we're definitely adding a lot more precautions. I've been looking up hawk deterrents too and most people suggest old cd to reflect light and scare them.

So if I'm using heavy duty bird netting, I can secure CDs at different locations on top of net?

Hi Steph.. I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your momma silkie! I have lost a hen and 4 babies this season to the hawks and I agree it is terribly disappointing and frustrating. We do love the hawks, they are beautiful creatures, but I confess I do want to also protect my flock!!

I can say that as a temporary measure I have done the following - so far with success (no losses since I did this):

I took a length of garden shade cloth and I used cable ties to fix it to the fence at about my thigh height, then I pulled it out from the fence at a bit of a downward angle and pegged it out with short garden stakes (think tent awning style but on a downward angle). Now it looks like a bit of a tunnel with a small chicken height gap for them to zip under it at any point. I put their food and water right at the edge of it so they can eat and drink without coming out in the open if they want to.

My long term fix - I've ordered a whole truck load of Heobe bushes and will be planting those both around the outer edge of their run (which is huge) and a few island ones in strategic places. The idea being that they will have shade, cover, and the hawks will find it difficult to swoop in from on wing. If the hawks do land - they won't have an easy time getting around the bushes - whereas the chickens can speed their way through and under those no problem.

We have also been feeding the hawks in an area WAY away from our chicken run. Husband has been out shooting pukeko's lately (a pest in our area) and leaves the bodies out in the other paddocks so the hawks can have a scavenge without going after the chickens. Again this is a bit of a temporary measure.

I did battle with a hawk that landed on a bush and proceeded to eat all the baby birds. They do not have to swoop down to get their dinner. They can patiently wait on the bush.

Back
Top Bottom