Hawk Attack?

Patinas

Songster
Mar 22, 2017
Washington
Unfortunately, one of my hens was killed the other day and all that was visible was a pile of feathers. No body parts or even signs of blood.

In the week before this happened there has been a huge hawk hanging around the yard and circling low about 2-3 times a day. So while the hens were out ranging, either I or our dog was always out with them to keep an eye out.

The day of the chicken kill, I was out of town so DH let the hens out but then he went to a function he had planned and was gone for about 4 hours. When he returned he saw the pile of feathers and I'm down one hen.

I am assuming it was the hawk that's been lurking but on the other hand, I have a hard time believing a hawk could carry off an 8-9 lb chicken in one piece. The hen killed was one of the largest in my flock. I think an eagle would have no problem carrying off a chicken but a hawk?

In the two years I've lived here, I've seen a raccoon and a couple possums but no coyotes, foxes, weasels, skunks, etc. We do have lots of hawks and eagles but they tend to stay in the lower elevations in the agriculture valley below. On occasion we've had random dogs in the yard that have gotten loose.

So anyone know if a hawk can completely carry off such a large chicken? We've looked everywhere and cannot find a carcass, just feathers.

No, a hawk could not carry off a chicken that big. Most of my predator experience is with foxes - and I can tell you, you won't know one is around until its too late. They are very sneaky. They can leave feather piles as you described. I am very sorry for your loss. :hugs

So anyone know if a hawk can completely carry off such a large chicken?
um-no.gif

The hawk would have to eat at the kill spot. Now if a hawk did indeed strike, vultures are able to carry it off but not far, but that is unlikely. Raccoons and Opossums are nocturnal- so rules them out.
My guess is either-
  • Dog
  • Fox
  • Bobcat

When hawks have young to feed they return time and time again to the kill. Each time the kill gets lighter and lighter but I don't think 4 hours is long enough to lighten up a 9 pound chicken enough for any hawk of my acquaintance to make off with it.

Remember, we may be dealing with two problems here:
Problem one is a possible eagle attack and problem 2 is the possibility that a hawk killed your hen and then a fur bearing predator carted off the remainder of the evidence.

Also don't forget that Bald Eagles are bigger scavengers than they are predators.

Thanks for the replies. My guess at this point is that it was a coyote or a dog that got her. She was just too big for a hawk to fly off with...even a big hawk. Plus, I do think it's odd there was no blood or body parts which again indicates a quick "kill and run" predator.

I'll just have to be more vigilant when they are out in the yard. I know it is always a risk to let them forage out of the coop but I just can't lock them up 24/7. They love being out of the coop and just being chickens and I can't take that away from them because that for me is part of the joy of having them.

When I started to have chickens go missing the only sign was feathers. Spotted a fox hanging around not long afterwards.

Caught the fox in the act later and promptly turned it into Swiss cheese with the help of my shotgun.

I have coyotes in my woods (hear them every night) but I’ve never had an issue with them so I don’t know their killing methods.

Dogs? Never had issues with them either despite the neighbors dogs running loose all the time. But from what I’ve heard about dogs they tend to kill multiples, not just one, because chickens scatter and dogs like to chase.

I definitely vote fox.

@Imthe1whoquacks Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure there are no foxes around but there are coyotes although I've never seen or heard one near the property. One time I found coyote scat on the road to our driveway so I know they are around and I have seen them in the fields in the valley below our home.

My other thought was possibly a cougar because I have seen one and a couple months ago a neighbor reported seeing one. So that is a possibility I can't rule out.

UPDATE! I know what killed my hen...it was a coyote because it showed up early this evening! It's been a week since my hen was killed. I've been out of town so hens have been locked up for most of the week since she was killed but I know coyotes keep coming back as long as the food source exists.

I was outside with them all afternoon today keeping vigil but went in at about 6pm to make dinner and I heard the hens squawking like crazy so I stepped out the front door and there was a coyote on the edge of the woods about 30 feet from one of my hens. It looked at me and I didn't have time to grab the shotgun so I just started running at it yelling and waving my hands and it turned tail into the woods.

The weird thing is the hens were not running for cover. They were just standing there squawking at it...more like it was a curiosity than a threat. When they see a hawk or eagle they always run for cover.

Needless to say the shotgun is now at the ready and it has a laser on it so...goodbye coyote if I get a shot at it because I'm sure at this point, it will come back! I also have a small dog to protect.

DH wants to build a blind and get an injured rabbit call! I guess that means he's all in! :lol:

We've lived here exactly two years as of today and I've never seen or heard a coyote until today. Luckily we live rural and I know all the neighbors shoot them whenever the opportunity presents itself which is probably why I haven't seen or heard any. I'm now determined to join that club!

Back
Top Bottom