Hawk Attack

karen71

Songster
14 Years
Apr 27, 2008
Bear, DE
I need help - I have had my girls attacked before but the wounds were always on skin (cleaning and ointment with a stay in the chicken hospital would work) yesterday a young hawk attacked one of my girls and pecked her eye - it appears both are closed - one may be gone . I have her in the chicken hospital resting as she was in shock yesterday . This morning still both eyes closed - I tried to get her to drink with no avail. I am at work today but plan to look her over better when I get home - yesterday I did not mess with her too much just made sure she had no gaping wounds . I guess my question is what can I do for the eyes and if she lives will she be able to live with the other girls . I don't want her to suffer and will do what needs to be done - but I want to give her a chance .
Sorry so lengthy

I need help - I have had my girls attacked before but the wounds were always on skin (cleaning and ointment with a stay in the chicken hospital would work) yesterday a young hawk attacked one of my girls and pecked her eye - it appears both are closed - one may be gone . I have her in the chicken hospital resting as she was in shock yesterday . This morning still both eyes closed - I tried to get her to drink with no avail. I am at work today but plan to look her over better when I get home - yesterday I did not mess with her too much just made sure she had no gaping wounds . I guess my question is what can I do for the eyes and if she lives will she be able to live with the other girls . I don't want her to suffer and will do what needs to be done - but I want to give her a chance .
Sorry so lengthy
Someone should be able to help you with the eye issue, but as far as the other birds attacking her, they probably will if the "hospital" isn't where they can all see one another. Otherwise, she'll be treated as a newcomer & have to regain her status. Beyond that, if the eye(s) show any sign of weakness, the other birds, cannibalistic creatures that they are, could conceivably peck her to death, literally, especially if blood is drawn.
Good luck.

Someone should be able to help you with the eye issue, but as far as the other birds attacking her, they probably will if the "hospital" isn't where they can all see one another. Otherwise, she'll be treated as a newcomer & have to regain her status. Beyond that, if the eye(s) show any sign of weakness, the other birds, cannibalistic creatures that they are, could conceivably peck her to death, literally, especially if blood is drawn.
Good luck.
Thank You - I know chickens can be cruel - and the hospital is not near them- it may be more humane to put her down :(

Sorry so lengthy
I'm sorry to hear about your hen:hugs
How is she doing?
If you have some photos that would be good.

For eye injuries, flush with saline the best you can. You can apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin or Vetericyn eye gel. Plain Neosporin can also be used if you have that.
Try to get her hydrated, this is important. Sugar water, gatorade, pedialyte, etc. can all be used to get fluids in her. Since she has swollen eyes, you may need to drip water beside her beak so she can take that in.

I made the decision to euthanize her she would not take any fluid - I tried to drip it in to no avail . I think the hawk caused internal injuries that I could not see . I believe he pecked one eye completely out - she was wheezing and not doing well - I did not want her to suffer . I thank you for the reply and the hugs .

I made the decision to euthanize her she would not take any fluid - I tried to drip it in to no avail . I think the hawk caused internal injuries that I could not see . I believe he pecked one eye completely out - she was wheezing and not doing well - I did not want her to suffer . I thank you for the reply and the hugs .
I'm sorry for your loss:hugs

Back
Top Bottom