Hawk Attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TillinWithMyPeeps, Feb 2, 2009.

1. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    I was just outside checking on and feeding my quail, I walked back to the coop part ( Their setup is like a small coop and run, I think 6 feet long total, and at most like 3 feet tall) and bent down, and opened it up to check for eggs. I found a new one [​IMG] . And then I was walking just the couple of feet back to the front of the run and heard squawking and saw a flash of feathers. A hawk had just dove down while I was out there and attacked the fenced in run trying to get one of my quail [​IMG] . It couldn't get in of course, because the run is completely fenced in, but it came to within about a foot of me. Right after this happened, I started flapping my arms, and clapping, to show it who the alpha bird really is [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009
  2. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    Wow! Close call! I bet he won't be back for a while! HAve you heard of those fake plastic owls you can mount up? I wonder if your poor babies would feel better if they had an owl guardian?

3. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    Sure glad you didn't lose any birds! I free range and lost one of my girls about a month ago to a hawk. They are pretty thick around here this time of year. I hung old cds around the run and around a few other places where I could and although they come pretty close; I have not lost another bird.[​IMG] Might be worth a try.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by