Hawk Attack

BellaBlueBell

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Central PA
My Lucy got hit by a hawk today. I chased it off, but the back of her neck is gaping and one eye is closed. Since she walked away when the hawk left, I cleaned her up, put peroxide and triple antibiotic salve on her wounds. I put her in the laundry room in a dog cage and gave her mealworms, chicken feed and pedialyte. She is eating and drinking like nothing happened. How can this be? What should I expect?

It sounds like you treated the wound ok so far.

Can you get a picture or 2 of the wound?
It will help folks to help with treatment recommendations.

Many birds recover over time....a lot of time.

Keep putting the antibiotic ointment on her once or twice a day to keep it from drying out.

Those pics would really help when you get a chance.

She is eating and drinking like nothing happened. How can this be? What should I expect?
Close call, resilient birds chickens are!

Sometimes the pain hasn't set in yet but she may become more stiff as adrenaline subsides.

As long as active bleeding has ceased and no flesh is hanging.. it's just a matter of keeping her hydrated and keeping infection at bay.

Do not use the peroxide again once the clean up has been completed because it damages the fresh tissue as well.

If you have space for that cage in view of her flock mates at least during the day time, would be more ideal for reintegration if she need to be indoors for night temps.

I had a duck get fully scalped by a raccoon.. and also fully recover with my only intervention being keeping the pool water clean. Also has a chick with a broody get scalped.. and stuck closer to it's mum and fully recovered also. The body does a pretty good job fighting infection on it's own when given a chance and the correct nutrients.

Once you see she is still actively drinking like tomorrow, switch to fresh water.

A scrambled egg can be a palatable, easy to digest, nutritious BOOST on occasions like THIS.. they are 34% protein and 64% fat but loaded with nutrients when used as a TREAT. Nothing is good in excess and NO supplement should be given more than 10 days in a row.

Sometimes simply wetting the chicken feed into a mash can make it more interesting. It also aids digestion and increases fluid intake easily.

I've had boys give each other swollen and black eyes.. they usually go down over the next day or so. But eye injuries could sometimes use an antibiotic ointment.. might even be sold at Wally.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pfizer-terramycin-opthalmic-ointment-1-8-oz

There are several (not all) Rooster Booster brand product and poultry nutri drench that could offer a GOOD boost if you had access to them.

Otherwise if you already have on hand.. a human B complex or infant vitamins with NO iron.. can help in a pinch.

Sounds like she will do good and recover fine! Just be on the look out for some delayed shock! :fl

thumbnail_IMG_1366.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1363.jpg

Back
Top Bottom