Hawk Attack

Looks like she may already be going into shock now. Keep a close eye on her. Eyes closed, comb turning pale.

Thanks for tagging me 21hens! I don't always give great information, and should have totally asked for a photo first. :hmm

That is a good deep gash! I forgot how sharp their talons are and maybe not what I was imagining. You will want to make sure no feathers get caught inside as it's trying to heal.. sometimes just keeping the wound closed tight will allow it to heal if it isn't hanging and flapping or getting pulled apart.. I'm almost thinking I would try to get some butterfly type stitches from the pharmacy area or other medical/paper tape type stuff.. if I couldn't afford or didn't have veterinary help as an option.. My hope says it looks like a clean wound and It DOES look recoverable! :fl

I like to let wounds leak their clear exudate to *push stuff out* until it dries out and scabs up.. myself.. BUT that does NOT mean my way is the right way, per say.. but wet skin is soft, weakened skin while drier skin is tougher.. isn't it?? I'm here to also continue MY learning and freely welcome the conversation as to what, when, why, and how, if it's thread appropriate and not off topic.. My understanding continues to grow, and everyone should use THEIR best judgement according to their current understanding! :thumbsup

Myself tending to be a bit hands off might not have the best information regarding injuries despite having done some minor "surgeries". I wonder if @Eggcessive or @Wyorp Rock have any wound experience? TIA for looking!

Hope she pulls strong through the night and forward! :hugs

I would agree that plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment applied to the wound twice a day after cleaning gently with some saline or spraying Vetericyn on it would be good. The eye can be treated with the Neosporin as well. Those wounds do not look as severe as some I have seen, and as long as she is alert and eating/drinking, she may do fine. If you notice any infection at any time, you an get Hibiclens/chlorhexidene at your pharmacy, and use it diluted with water to clean the wound. Let us know how she gets along.

She made it through the night. The comb is back to bright red and she is alert and moving all about. The wound looks clean, no oozing or bleeding. I am using triple antibiotic ointment twice a day on both the neck wound and the eye. Her eye is still closed, but I can see the eyeball moving under the lid.

I can't put her outside near the other girls because it's too cold. How long should she be inside? And then, how do I get her back with the other two chickens?

In my many years of chicken keeping, I use NuStock on all injuries, including us, dogs, cats, etc. it is made for deep wounds. It it an antibiotic, anti fungal. It is only made of pine tar -to hold it in place, and sulfur. It’s wonderfu! You can find it in most feed stores. I am never without it...ever!

How long should she be inside? And then, how do I get her back with the other two chickens?
Use your best judgement according to her condition about when you are ready to return her.

Use the kennel or other "look but don't touch" set up for a few days, maybe a little less or more depending on how long separation is and her original pecking order position along with the demeanor of your other gals.

It may not be as difficult as introducing strangers and despite it possibly being a short process it should be EASILY doable. If needed add in extra feeders, hanging treat balls, or other distractions to redirect their attention some.

Glad she pulled through the night. And glad she has you to help her out! Can't wait to see a new pic with her back in and getting on with her mates! I believe it. ;)

I use NuStock on all injuries, including us, dogs, cats, etc. it is made for deep wounds. It it an antibiotic, anti fungal. It is only made of pine tar -to hold it in place, and sulfur.
I've never used it yet, but have heard of it before.

Sulfur.. is/can be quite toxic, even 100% effective at killing poultry lice and mites when added to a dirt bath even in NON bathing flock mates!

I imagine they've got it down to formulation/ratio that makes it less toxic or likely to cause burns etc. Your description does make it sound worth looking into having on hand in an emergency kit!

Sounds like an old school remedy with possibly high efficacy.. and maybe not as temperature sensitive for long term storage?? :pop

Back
Top Bottom