Hawk attack

Jan 2, 2022
Texarkana Arkansas
Hi everyone! Just a heads up for hawks. Either a Coopers hawk or a red-shouldered hawk just killed our Black Copper Maran hen and is on the lookout for more. He tried to get one of our ducks yesterday, so I thought everyone should be warned because they lurk out there. I hope you're chickens stay safe! And feel free to post any other preditor that you have encountered. Here is what these hawks look like.
OIP.jpg
Red-shoulderedHawk_Standing-1.jpg

Sorry to hear about your BCM hen. It's that time of year - there is a pair of Red-tailed hawks hanging around, watching the poultry longingly, I'm sure. After a couple of years of losses of free-ranging chickens and ducks to hawks (we have Cooper's hawks, too) and foxes, the poultry are now in secure runs or pens. Once a predator figures out that tasty chickens or ducks are available, they will return.

Sorry to hear about your BCM. We lost a pullet last year. I know it's not full proof, but since we've had our rooster, the hawks don't mess around with them. I guess it helps that he's a 10lb. Buff Orpington. He's bigger than most of the hawks around here, and he's great at sending the girls to cover if one is snooping around.

Sorry to hear about your BCM. We lost a pullet last year. I know it's not full proof, but since we've had our rooster, the hawks don't mess around with them. I guess it helps that he's a 10lb. Buff Orpington. He's bigger than most of the hawks around here, and he's great at sending the girls to cover if one is snooping around.
Thanks! Sorry about your chickens too. Yes for sure hawks don't mess around. I went outside today to see all my chickens and ducks hiding under the chicken coop, and I looked up in the tree and I saw the hawk staring at them.

The only predators I can't control while free ranging is the hawks and eagles. Not too worried about the bald eagles as they are very skittish and don't come near the house. But the red shoulder and red tail Hawks are cruising around frequently. I only let my flocks out the last couple hrs of the day if I'm around, but it's always on my mind when there out.

Hi everyone! Just a heads up for hawks. Either a Coopers hawk or a red-shouldered hawk just killed our Black Copper Maran hen and is on the lookout for more. He tried to get one of our ducks yesterday, so I thought everyone should be warned because they lurk out there. I hope you're chickens stay safe! And feel free to post any other preditor that you have encountered. Here is what these hawks look like.View attachment 2950674View attachment 2950675
You're going to think I'm not playing with a full deck.
Buy a slingshot and use clay pellets and learn how to use it.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Just a heads up for hawks. Either a Coopers hawk or a red-shouldered hawk just killed our Black Copper Maran hen and is on the lookout for more. He tried to get one of our ducks yesterday, so I thought everyone should be warned because they lurk out there. I hope you're chickens stay safe! And feel free to post any other preditor that you have encountered. Here is what these hawks look like.View attachment 2950674View attachment 2950675
I am sorry your birds got attacked and you lost your BCM.

Very beautiful pictures!

Back
Top Bottom