Hawk Attack

Hawk was back in the yard this morning when my husband went out to open the coop. It was under the fishing line web, and again when my husband came out the hawk slammed into the underside of the web and crashed back to the ground then found a way out through a bigger hole. Chickens were safely in the coop, and though they refused to leave the coop this morning I DID find them out enjoying the run (hardware cloth roofed enclosure) in the sunshine this afternoon.

The girl we lost was the alpha chicken, and I'm afraid the other girls are struggling with what to do now their leader is gone! It's very sad.

You can get the webbing at lowes, looks like you are around when the hawk comes around. I use bottle rockets for the hawks now they think this is a no fly zone. You do have to be on it all the time like 3 mounts. It has worked very well for me but they have not got a tast of my chickens (yet knock on wood).
Good luck to you.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Took a good look at the wound and she seems to be doing fine. It seems to have a good scab on it but I decided to leave it alone as it was nice and dry. I was a little hesitant to cut off the skin flap just yet in case there was still some feeling in it. I will check it again in a couple of days.

I live in the city where you would not think hawks would reside. For the first 8 years that I raised a small flock, I never lost one to a hawk or even saw a hawk. For some reason, the last 2 years, we have been overwhelmed with hawks. I used to let my flock free-range and at night they would go into their coop. I never closed the door, because I felt they were safe at night in my fenced in back yard. Then we lost a few to possums, yes, possums in the city . So now, I have to secure them at night. I have been outside with my flock when a hawk would make a nose-dive at one of them, right next to me ! They have absolutely no fear of humans. I have lost 4 to hawks and it is heart-wrenching. I kept reading that you can't free range with a hawk in the area and that is true. I now have to keep them penned up at all times unless I am certain that I can be with them. I hate it for them because they love the yard so much. I had to decide what was best. The heartache of losing a beloved pet to such a horrifying death, or the peace of mind knowing they were being protected and able to live witout the fear of another attack. I read all I could about trying to get rid of hawks, but once they know there is an easy, potential meal, you don't wait for them to move on. They don't move on. Every morning on my way to open my coop & feed my babies, I hear the sound of a hawks piercing cry, circling, waiting, hoping I will let my guard down and let my chickens out to roam. It is a hard decision, especially on pretty days. We seem to be overpopulated with hawks. I've tired hanging CD's & shiny objects from trees...I even have a large plastic owl sitting high on our grape vine. I went out one day to find a red tail hawk sitting on his head. So the old theory that keeps hawks away is not true. They are relentless ! and protected.

I just lost my first chicken to a hawk. The hawk came yesterday and attacked one of then hens. My daughter saw it tried to grab the hen. There were feathers all over the place, but the hen got away and she seemed ok. Well then today I came home and the chickens were acting funny, hiding under bushes, etc, and guess who is missing? That very same hen that got attacked yesterday.
sad.png
Hawk came back and finished the job. This is the first time I've lost a chicken to a predator. Now I'm sure it will be back...

I'm so sorry shandiane - it is sad to lose one of our girls.
sad.png

You do need to try to take precautions if you can because yes, the hawk now knows where tog et a meal and will definitely be back. This weekend we are hanging a net over the yard where the chickens run - they've been locked in their roofed run for over a week now since our second loss. I know they're eager to free range again!

I was amazed. after my last attack, at how the other girls managed to find little hiding places and make themselves very VERY tiny and still. Poor terrified girls.

Back
Top Bottom