Hawk attack.

AnimalsComeFirst

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Hugging a Chicken
A half hour ago, I went outside to throw some stuff in the compost and was raking some leaves into it.... my girls always follow me out and dig in the leaves for a few minutes. I turned my back for a minute and suddenly Nellie let out a loud screech.... the hawk swooped down and tried to grab Lucy. Screaming as loud as I could, I dropped my rake and leaped over the 4 foot fence, waving my hands. Lucy flew out of the way of the hawks tallons and Nellie, being Lucy's protector, flew at the hawk in a attempt to scare him off. Gloria ran for cover between some trash cans and under thick brush... Lucy dashed after Gloria and landed smack dab on her back! Gloria, too scared to be mad at Lucy, huddled down between the trash cans. By now, the crows were already after the hawk, making chaos fill the air. I suddenly realized... where was Nellie?! I looked around and didn't see her anywhere! I peered up into the sky and tried to spot the hawk out of the dozen of crows soaring through the air. I didn't see anything in the hawks grasp, so I ran around the yard and searched for the golden hen. As I opened the gate to my backyard (the wind had blown it partially shut) and quickly scooped up Gloria and Lucy, ran and put them in their covered pen, then searched our backyard for Nellie.

I finally found her, unharmed, under a bush, scared silly and making anxious clucks. Thank God, throughout all this my sweet and blind hen Penny was inside in her box and not in danger. After all 3 were herded into the pen, I checked to make sure they were all okay. Everyone was fine, a little shaky and nervous, still peering up at the sky.

This has never happened before, so it is a shock for me and my birds and a reassurance of how careful we chicken owners have to be. I'm so thankful I didn't loose Lil Lucy today, for she is a bantam and easy prey for a hawk that size.

ep.gif
Holly cow what an ordeal to go through so early in the realaxing morning. I am so happy that every one is ok! Dang hawks they are always looking for truble.

I am so glad ALL your chickens are OK
ya.gif

It seemed like it was mayhem for a little while where everyone was running everywhere.

Last fall my little bantams were free ranging. It was the weekend so my DH and I were in and out of the house thinking with all the comings and goings they would be alright.

Well, my DH came out of the garage just as a hawk came swooping down on my Mille Fleur rooster. DH ran (he has bad knees and hasn't "run" for years!) after the hawk which dropped Farimir. Farimir ran towards DH who couldn't stop in time and DH accidently kicked my little boy which sent him tumbling for about 5 yards across the lawn. Luckily, my little roo was OK. No puncture wounds from the hawk and no broken bones from my DH's big feet!

ep.gif
Holly cow what an ordeal to go through so early in the realaxing morning. I am so happy that every one is ok! Dang hawks they are always looking for truble.

No kidding!

I am so glad ALL your chickens are OK
ya.gif

It seemed like it was mayhem for a little while where everyone was running everywhere.

Last fall my little bantams were free ranging. It was the weekend so my DH and I were in and out of the house thinking with all the comings and goings they would be alright.

Well, my DH came out of the garage just as a hawk came swooping down on my Mille Fleur rooster. DH ran (he has bad knees and hasn't "run" for years!) after the hawk which dropped Farimir. Farimir ran towards DH who couldn't stop in time and DH accidently kicked my little boy which sent him tumbling for about 5 yards across the lawn. Luckily, my little roo was OK. No puncture wounds from the hawk and no broken bones from my DH's big feet!
So glad your roo is okay! That must of hurt, first being picked up by a hawk, then kicked.... ouch.

How scary for you and your hens! We have a hawk that hangs around the neighborhood and stalks my chickens. In the past few months I've noticed the hawk getting closer to the chickens and not caring that the dogs were around or even if I was around. We bought a fake owl about a month ago and put it close to the hen house (although they free range all day and aren't even in the coop) and we haven't seen the hawk since.

OMG, I would have FREAKED. That's one of my worst fears.

Especially, this time of the year. My garden is mostly roses and other shrubs which are all pruned back low right now so they have no place to hide. So no free ranging unless I'm out there. But as your story shows. You can be out there but a bold hawk may still try to take one.

I'm so glad your girls are all okay. Extra treats and love for them today.

we live right by a old pond where the hawks nest so we have to be real careful they fly over all the time and the spring is much worse we do not have the joy of letting ours free range often due to the number of hawks around.

YIKES! Nothing like getting the blood pumping - if you don't have a heart attack in the process! Guess that hawk has gotten pretty comfortable with people around.

JustTami - the owl "scarecrow" trick worked? I was wondering if putting one up would work for hawks or other owls, since they are usually solitary hunters unless they are hunting with a mate.

Back
Top Bottom