Hawk Attack

WaterfowlWierdo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Rathdrum, Idaho
My little mallard drake was attacked by a hawk and broke a wing at the elbow, he is a show bird and a beloved pet so he is quite valuable to me! his wing has healed but it drags now . . .if i wrapped it would it position it correctly?

My little mallard drake was attacked by a hawk and broke a wing at the elbow, he is a show bird and a beloved pet so he is quite valuable to me! his wing has healed but it drags now . . .if i wrapped it would it position it correctly?
Wouldn't hurt to try, but I'm thinking it maybe should have been done while it was healing. But I'd still give it a try.
fl.gif

HI.

My name is Dorene, I live in St. Louis, I have a Canada goose management company, have been involved in domestic waterfowl rescue for over 25 years, and worked in an avian and exotic vet clinic for 11 years after I left vet school due to moving to St. Louis.

The ideal scenario for your little drake is to get him to a qualified avian vet (they can be hard to find) who knows about poutry/waterfowl (they can be even harder to find) and have him x-rayed. That will deliniate the exact problem, which then can be addressed medically with physical assistance. Usually we brace or wrap such injuries, but it is imperative to set the wing in the correct position for healing.

If the wing is set incorrectly, it will still heal, but the bird will be a cripple for his entire life. I have rescued and placed hundreds of crippled birds, they need to be EXTRA protected from predators, ESPECIALLY at night, but they can lead full and productive lives. The earlier that you get veterinary assistance, the better off your little Mallard will be.

Have you addressed your hawk situation? I am having a hawk problem over here, and my birds are on lockdown, I lost a beloved rescue Indian Runner, Emily Jane, to a Red Tailed Hawk about 10 years ago, and I NEVER want to go through that again.

Best of luck for your little bird,
Dorene

HI.

My name is Dorene, I live in St. Louis, I have a Canada goose management company, have been involved in domestic waterfowl rescue for over 25 years, and worked in an avian and exotic vet clinic for 11 years after I left vet school due to moving to St. Louis.

The ideal scenario for your little drake is to get him to a qualified avian vet (they can be hard to find) who knows about poutry/waterfowl (they can be even harder to find) and have him x-rayed. That will deliniate the exact problem, which then can be addressed medically with physical assistance. Usually we brace or wrap such injuries, but it is imperative to set the wing in the correct position for healing.

If the wing is set incorrectly, it will still heal, but the bird will be a cripple for his entire life. I have rescued and placed hundreds of crippled birds, they need to be EXTRA protected from predators, ESPECIALLY at night, but they can lead full and productive lives. The earlier that you get veterinary assistance, the better off your little Mallard will be.

Have you addressed your hawk situation? I am having a hawk problem over here, and my birds are on lockdown, I lost a beloved rescue Indian Runner, Emily Jane, to a Red Tailed Hawk about 10 years ago, and I NEVER want to go through that again.

Best of luck for your little bird,
Dorene
I will try to find one but hardly any avian vets even near my area :(

I have solved the situation and haven't had a problem yet so I think I will be good from now on!
Also i think it may be far to late to reset the wing . . . I am just gonna have to deal with the drooping :(

I will try to find one but hardly any avian vets even near my area :(

I have solved the situation and haven't had a problem yet so I think I will be good from now on!
Also i think it may be far to late to reset the wing . . . I am just gonna have to deal with the drooping :(
Glad he lived to continue to waddle.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom