Hawk attacks hen, dog comes to rescue........kind of....

tankerman

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 7, 2012
Sonoma county
My Coop
My Coop
Three dogs, all in house.

Large hawk attacks Gold laced Wyandotte hen.

Let dogs out.

Mastiff (female), charges down hill and chases off the hawk.

Mastiff picks up hen.

Mastiff eats hen.....the whole thing, feathers and all.

Hawk watches from nearby fence post.

Lessons learned;
Dogs can't protect your flock if they're in the house.
Culling roosters has disadvantages.
Mastiff loves and protects our flock, but dead/maimed hen = chicken dinner to her.

sad yet have to admit it made me giggle a little bit. Sorry for your loss & hope the mastiff doesn't bloat - that would be a double bummer. A whole chicken is kind of like eating a down comforter - seen a 100 lb dog do the same - he was uncomfortable for a day but processed all fine.

sad yet have to admit it made me giggle a little bit. Sorry for your loss & hope the mastiff doesn't bloat - that would be a double bummer. A whole chicken is kind of like eating a down comforter - seen a 100 lb dog do the same - he was uncomfortable for a day but processed all fine.
She seems to have processed everything OK.

We feed our dogs raw chicken regularly, but this is the first time she's eaten the feathers.

Several years with three dogs, and anywhere from 40-80 chickens st any given time and no dog-chicken fatalities.

The mastiff looks at all other non humans as competitors for food and it's in her nature to take what she wants from other animals.

Oh! That's gotta create some duplicitous emotions...

I am sorry for your loss.

so sorry for u, my dog terrified of the girls, she thinks they bit her not the electric fence. hope ur mastiff passes that OK, ew

Back
Top Bottom