Hawk attacks on our ducks

hpetrilla

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2016
Hello,
In the 3 years we have had ducks, we've had two killed by hawks. Our original, Quackers, saw her sister taken by a hawk. We got another duck named Jelly. She was attacked and killed yesterday in front of Quackers, and my two daughters. It was horrific. We buried Jelly today. I guess my question is why does this keep happening? We live in a development, but two family friends have ducks and this hasn't happened to them. Do we keep replacing the ducks that are getting attacked?? Do we find a new home for our remaining duck? We are devastated and so is Quackers. She's now seen two companions attacked and killed.

Several possibilities as to why your ducks get attacked and the neighbors don't. Hawks like open space, good vantage point from which to plan their attack, and no interference on the ground. Geese are said to be good hawk deterrents (which is why I'm raising geese with my ducklings), also dogs. Of course the dogs have to be trained not to bother the ducks....

Birds of Prey are federally protected so you can't do anything to harm the hawk, but you can make it "unproductive" for him/her to want dinner from your flock. I suggest going to the neighbors and observe their yard (duck yard) to see what is different from your yard. If you have them in an enclosure (or enclosed part of our yard) you can put some things in the enclosure to keep them safer from above. We have a lot of hawks in our area but there is also a lot of overhead cover with trees, bushes, porches, etc. We have never lost a chicken (had over 85 at one time in the past). Neighbor's dog got a few but once we got a pic of the dog, the animal control folks confiscated it.

Smaller birds and light colored birds will always be of more interest to hawks. It also has to do with the time of year. Hawks are more likely to take risks when the weather is colder and when there is less food available. I have had several chicken losses from hawks and I always try to keep cover for my birds. If the hawk thinks that it will get its wings caught into something, it will not take the risk.

My neighbor has hawk attacks on her chickens, whereas i dont. The only difference in our yards is she has a big tree bordering her fenceline and i dont. I also keep cds up on fishing string through the yard. I heard that scares them away.

Im sorry to hear about your ducks.

I don't see how we can make it safer. We have trees along the perimeter of our yard, on the neighbor's property. The first attack was in the summer. The were in an enclosure with no roof. I don't know how the hawk didn't get its wings caught. The hawk attempted to attack my husband when he was removing the dead duck. Within minutes of the kill there were two more hawks in the trees. I just don't know what's best for our remaining duck.

Attacked your husband?? And two more in the tree? Goodness, that is not a good sign. If there is no improvement then I would recommend talking to a wildlife professional about it, as hawks are illegal to kill. I would keep your remaining duck housed until the hawk issue dies down. May I ask what age and breeds your ducks are/were?

Yes. It would not move away from the body. My husband got very close before it flew away, then it circled around close enough that my husband felt the wind from its flapping wings! Then it perched in a tree and watched. I came outside to watch while he got our duck back in the cage and got the dead duck. Two more hawks came during that time. Today we were outside and there was no sign of them. Our first pair were khaki Campbell. After one of them was killed, we got an Indian runner. Now we only have one of the original khaki Campbell left. They are around about 2 1/2 years old.

We have a coop with a roof. She's safe. We let them free range in the yard when we can.

They also know now they can have a pretty easy meal, If you don't think you want to go through this again maybe re home your last duck so she doesn't end up as a hawk meal too.

Hawks are around here now too even though we have them year round they seem to be braver this time of year and I lost a game bantam hen last week. I pray everyday for the rest of my flock that none get taken we have alot of cover but this time of year there are no leaves to keep it more protected.
I cannot cover half an acre of property.

So very sorry for your losses and that your daughters had to witness it.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom