Hawk attacks on our ducks

That just doesn't make sense to me. We have only ever had 2 ducks at a time. We don't have lots of wildlife in our development. Lots of squirrels, but I've never even seen a raccoon! I know they are out there, but I've never seen them. Yet here we are, hawks aplenty.

Red tailed hawks do eat squirrels -that might be why the hawks are there. They hunt by sitting still on a fence or in a tree and waiting for something to move. The big tree you said is in your yard might be just right for them. So sorry!

The perimeter of our yard is surrounded by trees. That's exactly where they sit. When we see them, we put the ducks back in their coop.

Can you shoot up in the air to scare the hawks away? Sorry for your losses. Glad to see you got the remaining one a friend. I would most definitely keep them penned up for a few days/week until the hawks move on. If you can get a Livestock Guardian Dog, they will help keep hawks/aerial predators away as well as ground predators. Good luck. I hope you don't have anymore hawk visitors.

I've never heard of a livestock guardian dog! Somebody suggested shooting bottle rockets off to scare them away. We have to be careful not to upset the neighbors
1f61c.png

I've never heard of a livestock guardian dog! Somebody suggested shooting bottle rockets off to scare them away. We have to be careful not to upset the neighbors
1f61c.png

Google it. We've always had Great Pyrenees until now. We have 2 Akbash/Great Pyrenees puppies in training.

Last edited:
I have ducks, chickens, geese, and rabbits. Although they have not been attacked, my neighbor said a young hawk flew down and took a pigeon that was feeding from the duck bowl this morning. Of course I panicked. I moved all food bowls under shrubs and trees so my animals are less visible. I also put faux ivy fencing in areas that were exposed. If you go to Improvements website, they have a product I really like. They sell faux ivy privacy fencing in rolls. Each is 9 feet in length and 6 feet tall. They carry a few styles, and are great. Although they are for covering fences for privacy, they also work great to hide and protect my girls, ganders, and buns. So sad about your duck. I have 2 runners that are 14 years old. Setting up more protection for them in the morning. Hope this helps.

I have lived in our Indiana suburb for 20 years. This year we have had an outrageous amount of Hawk attacks on neighbors. My husband got attacked 4 times in one week walking in our yard. I was attacked by two at one time in our driveway. A friend was attacked 3 steps out of her car. The neighbors are so traumatized that they wear bike helmets to get the mail and mow the yard. They carry umbrellas to walk their dogs and clean their pools. We have ducks x2. They stay together at all times while foraging under our trees. We also have a boarder collie which I feel protects them. I have read the safest place for them is in the open water.
We have notified the DNR. They may remove the nest once the fledglings have left.

Please don’t put your ducks out on water an think that is the safest place for them. Sounds like so far with your trees and border collie they haven’t been attacked yet. Very sorry this has been happening to y’all and your neighbors hopefully removing the nest will make them relocate next year.

Attacked your husband?? And two more in the tree? Goodness, that is not a good sign. If there is no improvement then I would recommend talking to a wildlife professional about it, as hawks are illegal to kill. I would keep your remaining duck housed until the hawk issue dies down. May I ask what age and breeds your ducks are/were?
Illegal to kill? If I feel my life or parts of my body are in danger by hawks I will kill it or attempt at least. I understand they are federally protected and you are not supppse to kill it, but when you endangered you kill. Yesterday I heard my Ancona ducks quacking very load so I ran out and sure enough there was a hawk in my large tree. A few seconds later a dead squirrel just fell from the tree in front of me. I guess the hawk wasnt after my babies.

Back
Top Bottom