Hawk attacks

Ariana Martinez

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
So on Friday my rooster Woody wa attacked. I came home an his feathers were all over my horses pastures I didn't think anything if it at first cause he fought a lot with my others. So he didn't show up the next day an just excepted that he was gone. So Saturday I went an bought two new hens, spent $35 on the two. One was big enough to go out with the others an the other wasn't so I put the one that was ready out in the coop an she was doing good an exploring the coop. An the very next day ;Sunday) I went to se them an she was gone an abit of her black an white feathers were scattered around. I'm pretty **** sure it was the hawks or owls around here. I have been seeing a brown owl hanging in the trees around my coop was the size of he rooster that was taken from me. I have seen two hawks around that have worked together to take squirrels an catch them. My little new hen that wa taken was in the coop at the time she was taken an what looks one she was taken next to a round bale in he pasture where more if her feathers wee found. Does anyone know what I can do about this. I purchased 6 new chicks of mixed birds that will be living out here. An 4 new hens coming at the end of May. Can someone help me with this on how to keep them away an scare them. It's illegal for is to shoot them here, if it was legal we would be shooting em all day. There are just to many around an building nest nearby. Whee can I buy netting to go over the coop. Not really chicken wire but netting. An can I put CDs around or foul to scare or startle them? Or a fake bird? Thanks

I don't have it as bad as you, but I have a nest of hawks living in the trees right next to our coops. We just make sure that the coops is securely covered so nothing can get in, and squirrels too. I actually don't know how a fake bird would work, maybe something along the scarecrow idea would work. Or even flashing lights too.

Make your coop and run as predator proof as possible, and keep the birds in for at least a couple of weeks. Hawks or any predator will come around as long as it pays off for them. Your job is to keep your birds safe! Usually a hawk will find other game if your birds are unavailable. My coop is very safe, and the birds are locked in every night. The run is covered in chicken wire, so safe from hawks, but not night visitors like raccoons. I free range most of the time, but will keep them all in for weeks if necessary. When I first had chickens, they roosted in the barn; MANY ugly predation events cured me of that! Mary

You can hang pieces of tin foil, pie tins, CDs, or buy some shiny tape like the one below. These shiny objects flash in the birds eyes and keep them away. Another thing that works is to buy a niteguard flashing light. It keeps away all predators and really works.

If the birds entire body is missing and they were 5 lbs or bigger when alive, then hawk ir even owl unlikely. Coyote or especially fox more likely.

The rooster I lost had escaped that morning an during the day was attacked out of the coop. And I have 3 outside dogs who keep watch over the property so I think coyote an fox are out. We use to have a coyote who would come into the back yard an just sit there an howl an my dogs would stare an growl instead of going to attack it. (It stayed across the creek) it stopped coming here when I went into the woods an confronted it. The rooster was pretty big but short. An he is NOT easy to hang onto once you've got him caught. He screams like I've never heard a chicken scream before. An is very strong with his wings. An the hen I lost was sma an hadn't even started laying yet. An she was In the coop when she was taken. An was either dropped by the roundbale from I guess the hawk struggling to keep hold of her. The hawks here are no bigger than my roosters. For now I have put fishing line over my coop an if a hawk attempts to go through it will likely get caught an possibly strangle itself. That's not what I want to happen but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Back
Top Bottom