Hawk behavior

Hi all, my flock of six 24 week old pullets were out free ranging today. I was sitting nearby when a hawk flew onto the telephone pole, seemed to suddenly notice I was there (I had been very still prior) then flew off into a nearby tree. I put the chickens back in their run and they have been there since. I'm wondering if it would be safe to let the chickens out around 7 (30 minutes before bedtime for them) to free range around the coop with my supervision. Would the hawk still be lingering 4-5 hours later? I plan on keeping them in the run due to the recent hawk activity but am curious if they would be around still in the late evening. Thank you

Every hawk is different. Some pay chickens no mind, others will check constantly once they notice your birds. It just depends on the risks you wish to take with your birds. Some, like us, are willing to risk a few lost birds so they can have some freedom, and others aren't.

You may want to let them out under close supervision only but keep in mind some people have had chickens snatched by a hawk when the chicken was very close to their person.
My chickens love fresh cut grass, for now, you could cut some and put it in the run for them to eat.

You may want to let them out under close supervision only but keep in mind some people have had chickens snatched by a hawk when the chicken was very close to their person.
My chickens love fresh cut grass, for now, you could cut some and put it in the run for them to eat.
Thanks. I did let them out for about a half hour before bed. I throw grass in the run daily, they turn it over and scratch through it so quickly though it's hard to keep up. I may try the hanging cabbage l next. Seeing that hawk was nerve wracking, it definitely was intent on the chickens and was not expecting me.

This time of year the hawks are migrating, so there is greater hawk movement/atypical behavior than usual. The migratory hawks can be more bold and motivated to kill whatever is available than the year-round hawk residents. Here in North Central Ohio I have seen hawks this time of year as late as 6-7pm. That said, your flock size is totally manageable to supervise. If you have a small area that is fenced in, you could let them free range before they are put to roost for the night but with total supervision. If it’s little bit larger of an area but still fenced in, you could place some lawn chairs and/or small side tables in the enclosure to give them cover/a place to hide, but again, with total supervision. As other posters have previously stated, hawks have been known to attack chickens that were only a few feet away from their human keeper. Occasional losses are the unfortunate dues we pay when we free range our flocks. I typically have 1-3 hawk attacks a year (yes, they can survive an attack) and lose one hen about every 12-18 months to a hawk. My average flock size is about 9 +/- hens, replenished every spring if needed. Good luck with your young flock!

This time of year the hawks are migrating, so there is greater hawk movement/atypical behavior than usual. The migratory hawks can be more bold and motivated to kill whatever is available than the year-round hawk residents. Here in North Central Ohio I have seen hawks this time of year as late as 6-7pm. That said, your flock size is totally manageable to supervise. If you have a small area that is fenced in, you could let them free range before they are put to roost for the night but with total supervision. If it’s little bit larger of an area but still fenced in, you could place some lawn chairs and/or small side tables in the enclosure to give them cover/a place to hide, but again, with total supervision. As other posters have previously stated, hawks have been known to attack chickens that were only a few feet away from their human keeper. Occasional losses are the unfortunate dues we pay when we free range our flocks. I typically have 1-3 hawk attacks a year (yes, they can survive an attack) and lose one hen about every 12-18 months to a hawk. My average flock size is about 9 +/- hens, replenished every spring if needed. Good luck with your young flock!
We have hawks that stay around our area all year round. Since we seem to have more and more milder winters every year here in MS we have even been getting more animals to our are we never have had. Now at our house we have a family or peregrine falcons which is six large birds right now. These are large birds which have eliminated the migratory Canadian honkers that used to come through our area and hang around. We have not heard any geese or seen any ducks around the entire month of August or September. Our area is too small for regular hawk oooulation and then six of these large falcons to stay. Our rodent population will be in check for sure!lol!😊

Thanks for all the great advice. This past week, my flock has been staying in their coop and run till 4, then going in their chicken tractor till 7, then a half hour of supervised free ranging. I feel at ease now that I have them on a schedule. While it was nice letting them free range all day throughout the summer, this uptick in hawk and owl activity has forced me to change my routine with them.

Thanks for all the great advice. This past week, my flock has been staying in their coop and run till 4, then going in their chicken tractor till 7, then a half hour of supervised free ranging. I feel at ease now that I have them on a schedule. While it was nice letting them free range all day throughout the summer, this uptick in hawk and owl activity has forced me to change my routine with them.
It’s a pain I know. We got a new puppy this past week and that dang falcon has been flying fight over our heads while doing house breaking training outside. He is a golden retriever and at 7 weeks about 12 pounds and is a big boy but this large female hawk looks to be about 4 to 5 pounds and a large for her breed herself. She has a four foot wingspan and was flying at 20 feet above the ground leaving no doubt of her intent and also flying directly between our main pool fence line and our run fence line. She is ticking me off severely. We have two other small dogs. A 17 pound Schnauzer and a 13 pound Shichon who is chubby! Lol! But either is no match if she wants them back enough either.

Back
Top Bottom