Hawk came after us (them, of course, but I was right there)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by dawnrae, Jun 15, 2011.

1. dawnrae

dawnrae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    One girl started clucking like crazy and ran into the house. It was strange behavior bc they haven't really been clucking yet. At 8 weeks old they are still just peeping with an occasional cluck here and there. I was actually carrying one to the house bc I finally noticed it (the hawk) watching from the tree. Then we were "dived-bombed" by the hawk. I was within 3 feet of the other 2 girls. Thank goodness a starling...??? (I think) was nearby and went after the hawk before it got to us - CRAZY!!!

Usually the crows let us know when the hawk is around but they were no where to be found for some reason. What a crazy afternoon.

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Wow, that was close! I bet your heart stopped for a moment. We have hawks in our area too. My chickens are 15 weeks, so I hope they have it figured out that they need to pay attention. My husband assures me that nothing will happen but I have read so many stories here on BYC. [​IMG] Thanks for sharing and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by