Hawk Checking Out My City Chickens

Oh gosh, Catalina, be careful! I live in a "suburban, cul-de-sac area just like you, and never thought about daytime predators, but just being predator-secure at night. Nextdoor there was a big flock of chickens that roamed the neighborhood for the last year and a half and never a one lost to hawks -- in the end though, a lot lost to raccoons when they weren't securely closed in at night.

Anyway, I just found out the hard way about hawks when a couple of weeks ago I lost one of the two 5 month old pullets which I had recently adopted. My first hens! They were free to roam the yard and garden all day but then I came home to find the little one dead and a hawk (Red Tail, Coopers or Sparrow) flew off as I approached. It was really awful!

Some days later, the 20th, we put up a chicken wire enclosure about 20ft by 16ft around the area where the coop is with a 7-8 ft high "roof" of bird netting which one can fit through tree branches and shrubs fairly easily. While the enclosure was being constructed I went to a ranch in Petaluma to get three sweet 3 month old pullets so my poor only, lonely hen Lucy would have a flock again.

Now I'm just hoping that a dive bombing hawk can't blast through the bird netting. I'm in northern California near some of you who have posted and I have never noticed so many hawks around before but maybe it's because I have chickens -- big red tails and others circle overhead on nearly a daily basis. I'm never leaving the girls out to free range around the yard again -- maybe little jaunts outside the enclosure when I'm with them and know they'll follow me back to the enclosure, quickly!!

I'm new to chickens, new to this forum, and new to attaching photos but will try to put one up here of my new enclosure in case anyone's interested.

Kerry
Kentfield, CA

21016_img_2574.jpeg

I would recommend deer netting because as mentioned above, it is cheap and IF it did get damaged, wont cost you a fortune to fix. I paid 12$ for a & 1/2 X 100 ft roll. It did both of my runs, 10X10 and 10X16.

A hawk got one of my Australorps - she simply disappeared out of the yard when the girls were out scratching in the garden. A few weeks later when I was out with them, a hawk buzzed another of my clucks...it actually flew about 3 feet over her - inside my yard below by 6' privacy fence. My remaining Penny now stays inside her covered 6'x12' dog kennel/cluck run.

Yipes!

Those hawk do not care whether you are right there or not, if they are hungry, they go for it! I had one dumb one that came down and scooped up a little dog toy I had out in the yard. It was a fluffy hedgehog. The dummy took it! Bet her was surprised to see what it really was!
lau.gif

Just a little update: I covered my run with netting. It's the green kind used for covering fruit trees. So far it's working, but I don't know how it will stand up to snow.

Back
Top Bottom