Hawk deterrent

Makes sense! I also heard that white birds were less of a target because they don't look like their natural food. "Striped" birds were in the "most likely to get picked off" category.
My experience has been opposite of your post. In fact I attended a seminar where a falconer advised using a white pigeon or pullet to bait hawks so that you can get a close up view. I must advise that it works.

I followed the link you posted but didn't see any mention of a hawk deterrent product... what is it? I had same problem - Red Tail. Glad my Border Collie happened to be in the yard!
Looking for suggestions too!

There is a lot truth in using black chickens among your flock. The reason being is that crows and ravens do not tolerate hawks in their territories and will aggressively chase and fight hawks. The Hawks confuse the black chickens for crows and will leave the flock alone. I know some people see crows as a nuisance and pest, but around our flock they are welcome guests. The small amount of feed they eat is a small price to pay for keeping the Hawks at bay

I lost 2 of my 3 hens yesterday after rehoming my aggressive Rooster 2 weeks ago. Regretting the move now. Heartbroken.

I lost 2 of my 3 hens yesterday after rehoming my aggressive Rooster 2 weeks ago. Regretting the move now. Heartbroken.

Roosters are like early warning systems for your hens. They constantly watch the skies and suroundings for danger and have superb eyesight. At any sign of a large bird that may possibly be predatory, they let out a loud warning cry and all the hens will dash for cover.

A few shots at it...near it...but don't actually shoot it because most birds of prey are protected. But if it thinks you are shooting at it it may just leave!
I just recently bought a long range NERF gun. It sits in the tree next door to my home. I have shot at it several times and yell when I am doing it. The hawk is still coming back but not as much and now all I have to do is yell at it and it takes off but it is still loads of fun to shoot my sponge bullets at it.

Back
Top Bottom