Hawk deterrent

I had a close call with a red-tail hawk the other day and it absolutely freaked me out.

I thank god he wasnt successful in getting one of my beloved chickens.

I saw this in a book and am going to try it. Thought I would share if anyone else is interested or has any comments.

Its so fustrating with the birds of prey because aside from keeping them penned up, theres just nothing you can do....

http://www.whateverworks.com/itemdy00.asp?ID=2,316&GEN1=Pest+Control&T1=K1726&dispRow=0&srccode=
The link may be bad :( it does not seem to have a hawk deterrent. Just ads for other unrelated stuff...:hmm

The best hawk deterrent is a local flock of large crows, they hate hawks and will go after them with a vengeance.

The best method of preventing problems is to keep your birds in a covered pen.

Everything else you have to repeatedly move.
Love this! I didn't know it until awhile back but it's so true. Our beloved crow friends always chase the hawks away.

I moved in 3 years ago and my chickens had a small covered run. Once we had a large chainlink put in place for our dogs I extended their run. The new area is all uncovered (old area still covered)

One side new chicken wire, two sides chainlink fence, and the other side is the coop and original fencing. I will say I have not had any issues with any predators in 3 years. I have two owl decoys on posts and I think what keeps hawks or other birds out is I have large trees in and around the coop that provide a little cover along with a shed near by too(make it harder to see, swoop, etc maybe.)

My younger birds like to hop over the chainlink and play in the neighbors yard and they come and go as they please. Older ones seem to know better. Have not had an issue with fox or anything where I live (knock on wood right) I have never lost a bird to predators (except one to our own dogs) so I consider myself lucky, if it begins to happen I will then take other measures.

Anyway, if you have good tree cover that helps a lot in my opinion, maybe its as simple as owl decoys, or maybe crow decoys could help out.

Love this! I didn't know it until awhile back but it's so true. Our beloved crow friends always chase the hawks away.

I have witnessed a Red Tail holding down and eating a still struggling rooster with one foot while it fended off 20 + crows with the other talon. Crows hate hawks because hawks love crows, love to eat them that is.

Roosters can be pretty good fighters. If a hawk lands on one when the rooster is unaware the hawk has a huge advantage. But, it seems if the rooster is ready for the attack the bird of prey can be defeated by the sheer speed a rooster uses his spurs with. This rooster is tied and still manages to kill a much larger eagle. Many a hawk has caught a hen and paid the price when the flock's rooster attacked. I've read accounts about it and had people tell me about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom