Hawk deterrents?

I could use a good hawk deterrent too. I free range my girls daily and haven't lost one yet (although we've had two failed attempts by feral cats). Yesterday afternoon I let them out to roam and had just put a few handfuls of BOSS on the ground for them to snack on. They all came running over to get it and I turned around and walked literally 4 or 5 steps when I heard a loud commotion behind me. I turned expecting to see a couple of them in a scuffle over the best looking seeds. Instead there was a big red tail hawk standing where my 8 hens had been just seconds earlier. Luckily it missed it's mark and all of the girls escaped into the run that was only a few feet away. I went into full place kicker mode but of course it was too quick for me. Hawks are common in my area all year, and I'm always conscious of them. My girls get put away immediately whenever one is spotted in the sky, but I never thought that one would ever attempt to snatch one of my girls right out from under my nose like that.

At least, my being rural here I can keep roosters. They are great at alerting the girls to go hide when they see a hawk. Right now, I have 5 adult rooster that do a wonderful job. I have sat outside and watched them do their thing.

Back
Top Bottom