1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk flying low!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickfamilyonsleepyhollow, Sep 24, 2010.

1. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just sitting on my porch with a friend when one of my hens starting screeching ... a hawk circled my yard twice then left ... I quickly did a count and found all six of them hiding in bushes ... OMG this is the first time I've seen one so close to the ground [​IMG] ... we let them free range all day but now I wonder if the hawk will be back soon and if I should put them in the run (they hate the run) ... any thoughts???

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I live on a farm & there's plenty of predators. They stay locked up in their coop & run. Usually around 430 pm I let them out & I watch them till they all return to the coop to roost. I have a golf cart & we cruise around eating bugs & grass till its bed time. I also carry a gun just in case we find any trouble out there.

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I've seen Cooper's hawks do that as well as falcons, except much faster.

4. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    I live in the suburbs and "thought" that my birds were safe from predators in my 6 ft vinyl fenced backyard. That changed when a hawk swooped down on my 6 wk old chicks this morning just as I was about to open the latch to their run, give them breakfast, and let them out and free range. Fortunately, I was in front of the chicks and the hawk would've gotten a talon full of my hair before reaching a chick, but still I was in total shock! It then had the nerve to circle around and land on my trampoline 20 ft away and just sit there looking at us! Now I'll never feel safe letting my chicks run around the yard unless I am right near them.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hawks are migrating now, and they are hungry. For a while I would suggest free ranging only when you can stand guard.

6. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    I keep bottle rockets around all the time. [​IMG]

7. BigPeep

BigPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    I have strung invisible fishing tackle back and forth at a nine foot height all across my chicken run and have not lost any chickens to hawks all year although there are definitely some around. When they try to swoop down and hit the line, it freaks them out as they can't see it and think there is some sort of trap. Hawks are territorial so you probably have the same hawk in the area all the time which allows you to "train" it not to attack your chickens.

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:Me too, i have a no fly zone here and the hawks know where it is, pretty smart birds if ya ask me.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I had a hawk flying in low yesterday.The teen hens went running into the shed. I just sat back and waited.Tired of running around the yard flapping my arms.It didn't come back,but today is another day.It was small so I am guessing a teen hawk.They will get bolder as the food source dwindles. I have the bird netting to tangle them,CDs,inflatable owls,red mylar ribbons,and will string up some fishing line.Not much else that can be done other than a fenced run. I never tried the bottle rockets.Will give that a whirl when they circle overhead.

10. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for all the posts ... saw the hawk in the neighbors yard yesterday afternoon ... our girls saw em too bec they made a beeline for a shrub [​IMG] haven't seen the hawk today

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by