Hawk got my birds!

I have the same problem going on. I am currently on a roadtrip and way far away from home. My dad is the only one there. He called yesterday about that he was outside and a hawk came down and tried to get one of my roosters. Luckily he was so heavy that the hawk couldn't carry him off. My dad was able to scare the hawk off, and locked all the chickens in the coop. He sent some pictures, the boy doesn't look too badly injured, besides some torn skin and a couple scratches. I'll call my dad sometime and tell him to keep them in for at least a couple days. He told me he was going to let them out tomorrow if he was home for a while.

I'm really sorry this happened. I'm glad you found your princess.

My dog got loose yesterday and somehow managed to get into the run that has 6' high fencing and a tarp over most of it. I am missing a couple hens, one died in the night and the other is recovering (hopefully) in my spare bathroom. Quite a gash but she is moving around and I got her to drink some gatorade yesterday. The other was in there with her but I could tell was likely not going to survive.

I am sending well wishes that your girls pull through.

***UPDATE***

Well...... We think it was the dog! We have a 5 month Anatolian Pyrenees that has been out with them for several months and never harmed them.

Yesterday my neighbor called and said that my dog was killing one of my chickens so I rushed home to save her. It was Princess Leia that was slightly injured but able to be outside, so I thought! He ripped out some of her feathers and she is ok. We have put her inside with Camilla the badly injured chicken but they are separate for now till Camilla has scabbed over and I can put a sweater on her.

WELL TODAY WE GOT HOME AND ONE OF MY HENS WAS DEAD IN MY YARD!
Her neck was snapped and chucks were missing! I don't understand! We have now pinned up the rest of our flock and our duck. We are looking into how to properly train the dog to not hurt the chickens and try to build a budget friendly run. I don't want to keep them locked in the small one we have now.

Anyone have any advise or experienced this? I need tips on what to do! I had a hawk kill 3 of my ducks and that is why we got the dog!

***UPDATE***

Well...... We think it was the dog! We have a 5 month Anatolian Pyrenees that has been out with them for several months and never harmed them.

Yesterday my neighbor called and said that my dog was killing one of my chickens so I rushed home to save her. It was Princess Leia that was slightly injured but able to be outside, so I thought! He ripped out some of her feathers and she is ok. We have put her inside with Camilla the badly injured chicken but they are separate for now till Camilla has scabbed over and I can put a sweater on her.

WELL TODAY WE GOT HOME AND ONE OF MY HENS WAS DEAD IN MY YARD!
Her neck was snapped and chucks were missing! I don't understand! We have now pinned up the rest of our flock and our duck. We are looking into how to properly train the dog to not hurt the chickens and try to build a budget friendly run. I don't want to keep them locked in the small one we have now.

Anyone have any advise or experienced this? I need tips on what to do! I had a hawk kill 3 of my ducks and that is why we got the dog!
From what Ive experienced and heard from others 9/10 once a dog gets the taste of blood they'll always attack again given the opportunity :/ build a big run or keep the dog penned up when the chickens are out 🤟

Back
Top Bottom