Hawk got my bitties

BroodyBettysMom

Chirping
Aug 1, 2015
Mississippi
I heard a ruckus outside. Went and a huge hawk had two of my babies! I freaked, running after it! It dropped one and she can't use her legs! She's eating and drinking, just can't walk. What should I do? I have her separated from the others. She's 2 weeks old. I'm heartbroken!

This is how she sits unless she's

wrapped

So sorry! Poor babies. I'd put her in a dark, warm place. I have a cat carrier that I repurposed which I cover with a dark shirt or thin blanket in the winter. A covered laundry basket would work. Obviously bedding of some kind, water, and food (I've rigged up hair holders around the bars of the carrier door to hold small cups). Give her a few hours to recover. Once she's calmed down, if she's still not using her legs, you will have to determine where the injury is, the back or the legs themselves. If the legs are broken, there are posts on here about splinting. If it's nerve damage, you'll have to decide whether or not to pay for a vet if you can find one, and/or whether or not to put her down. Time will tell. I wish you and your baby the best.

Vet said her right leg is dislocated and a lot of things are torn apart in her leg. Said I had 3 choices. A) I could humanely uthinize (sp). B) I could let her go (let her live or die on her own). Or C) I can play mother hen. (Carry her around where she's immobile, feed her, and water her). I chose plan c! I have her tied up situated in a scarf around my heart region. She has since relaxed and went to sleep!

Back
Top Bottom