Hawk Help Needed

Are you able to get any larger birds? My turkeys are crazy good guard birds and I think the hawks around here think twice about swooping down on one of my birds with my tom strutting around the yard. I've lost no birds since having adult turkeys on my property and my birds totally free range. We have no run at all. Just a coop.

We have a large yard in a suburban neighborhood. We’ve had chickens (5yrs) and never predator problems during the day. We have two dogs and they free range with the dogs during the day. 2 weeks ago I let them out at 6am like I always do and one was taken by a hawk. We’ve had 2 weeks to investigate and we are pretty sure. We now let them out later in the day and spend more time out back. Tonight we were out back and saw 6 hawks peering into our yard. We put our girls to bed but we also have smaller chickens that we let roam when we are out. We have 3 scare crows, 1 owl and a ton of shiny objects. Any advice? We want to go to back to normal and we are being very cautious yet the hawks seem to know about us. I’d love to get back to having my birds in the yard. The hawks perch on an electrical tower behind our property so we can’t do much about that.
I read that someone that had the same problem, started raising black Australorps with their other birds and the hawk attacks stopped. Apparently the hawks think the black australorps are crows, which are the natural enemy of the hawk! We free range our birds on 2.5 acres and we're going to give it a try this summer, Fingers crossed it works!!

We have a large yard in a suburban neighborhood. We’ve had chickens (5yrs) and never predator problems during the day. We have two dogs and they free range with the dogs during the day. 2 weeks ago I let them out at 6am like I always do and one was taken by a hawk. We’ve had 2 weeks to investigate and we are pretty sure. We now let them out later in the day and spend more time out back. Tonight we were out back and saw 6 hawks peering into our yard. We put our girls to bed but we also have smaller chickens that we let roam when we are out. We have 3 scare crows, 1 owl and a ton of shiny objects. Any advice? We want to go to back to normal and we are being very cautious yet the hawks seem to know about us. I’d love to get back to having my birds in the yard. The hawks perch on an electrical tower behind our property so we can’t do much about that.
I didn't read all the suggestions here but will share what I did.
Because my chickens free range it wasn't possible to put wire over whole area they spent the most time in. I therefore strung fishing line over this large area. I put it high enough to not be in the way of our heads or the truck w hay, but criss crossed randomly from barn to trees to shed...wherever it could be attached.
My son has done this over his pond to stop flying predators stealing fish. It worked. The birds were befuddled by randomly hitting line with wings as they attempted to swoop.
Apparently it had the same repellant effect on the hawks seeking my chickens for no more of my hens were taken. If a line came down I replaced it.
Good luck to you

What I am about to suggest is just something I thought of just now. I will try it the next time I have chickens, as some of the last flock was taken by eagles and hawks.

I am going to find or make a few decoys that look like whatever breeds of chickens I have. Stick then in the ground or make then so heavy the birds of prey won't be able to take them. I will also wire them up with a low voltage electric fence unit. My hope is that the BofP will go for the decoys, since they are not moving (easy target), and get zapped enough that they will be discouraged enough not to want my chicks.

I read that someone that had the same problem, started raising black Australorps with their other birds and the hawk attacks stopped. Apparently the hawks think the black australorps are crows, which are the natural enemy of the hawk! We free range our birds on 2.5 acres and we're going to give it a try this summer, Fingers crossed it works!!
My black Australorp had a very close call with a hawk. It swiped at her and then tried a second time before all the chickens ran ito the coop. I got it on camera. She lost a bunch of down feathers without an injury. Thank goodness!!!
Sorry the pics are blurry but they are stills from video.
E18A22C6-4BF2-42C7-AE30-F0EF819BCF88.jpeg

2A8F6C78-8D01-4F7C-9693-BE385921A8BC.jpeg

We also have a fish pond, and a crane was trying to get at our Koi fish. We bought a Crane decoy from amazon for $30. Not sure if this is really why,but since we put the decoy up we have not seen a hawk in our woods/ yard since. They would usually visit at least once a week prior to the decoy.

We do not free range our chickens, but we do free range our ducks. For the most part, my "local" hawks understand the rules: "thou shalt not harass the ducks". That said, I still have issues periodically with hawks giving my ducks the stink eye. When they are persistent, I send them a message. In FL, it is legal to use fireworks to disperse problem birds. I made a small PVC launcher for bottle rockets. I will light one off in the general direction of the persistent hawk and the problem is solved for quite a while.

Wow, 6 hawks? I've never seen that many hawks together! Put crow decoys out. Crows are natural enemies of hawks and owls. At my last hawk attack, two crows were watching from a nearby tree. When I scared the hawk away, one of the crows chased it. I've seen several crows chasing hawks before. I put two big crow decoys out in the run--one perched up high and one on the ground. I didn't see another hawk. Then I watched a youtuber who said he added a few black chickens to his flock hoping to prevent hawk attacks and hasn't lost another chicken. He thinks the hawks see them as crows. I added some black Australorps this year. I put one of the crow decoys on a post between the run and a large tree where our resident owl used to sit. He hoped I would leave the coop door open at night again so he could get another easy meal. I haven't seen or heard that owl since.

The hawks perch on an electrical tower behind our property so we can’t do much about that.

Are you sure it's hawks on the electrical tower? The behavior you describe (several birds perched on the tower) sounds much more like buzzards than hawks. I, too, seriously doubt your bird was killed/eaten by a hawk (or a buzzard).

Back
Top Bottom