Hawk!!!!!!!help!!!!

kittykittykitty

Luvin My Chickies
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
an egg
There is this hawk that has been terrorizing my flock for WEEKS!!! I didn't even know that hawks came to my area! How do I get him to GO AWAY???!???!!??

Last edited:
I've noticed that the hawks in my area only show up at a certain time of the day, so I don't free range mine until aroud 3pm or after. Also, overcast days are generally hawk free. If you can, watch and see what time your hawk comes around.

Some people put poultry netting over their runs if they're not covered. Also, alot of people have said they hang old CDs from the tree branches and such by string, and the shiny movement seems to keep them away.

Maybe you can try one of those ideas. Others have mentioned "SSS" (It means shoot, shovel and shut up) Of course, I've never done that.

You can always trap the bird instead of killing it. Take it far away though. I happen to like hawks a lot so shooting them isnt even a thought.

Quote:
This is a federal offense (even just trapping it) without a license, and I regret that relocation on a hawk is a waste of time, and I mean no disrespect. Hawks can travel and migrate huge distances.

With hawks, your only real option is prevention and risk management.

I have tied fishing line over the run area with CD's and red mylar ribbons attached.So far no loss,but the hawks are looking long and hard.

38921_127.jpg

Hawks are territorial. There is probably a mate somewhere nearby. Don't shoot it or try to capture it. That is against the law. Secure the chickens. Make sure they have lots of places to hide if they free range. Make sure the top of your run is covered.

I have the same problem I bought 3 scarecrows and put them on tall stakes and put them in the ground in the area they free range also bought a plastic owl at lowes and stuck on the garage roof so far they fly by and that's all! I honestly don't get why they are protected they are clearly predators against any flock! I have had one on the ground in the back yard and went out with a golf club!

You never mentioned your set up, are chickens free range, what? cover the run and provide cover,and scarecrows do help. big chickens aren't high up on the target list-little chicks are absolutely a target. Odds are the hawks may be drawn to smaller birds that are now interested in scratch your chickens dont eat, hawks esp like doves.and small rodents. And they are just checking yours out, looking for something easy.
Sorry to say, it is illegal to trap, or sss hawks esp without a license, do you really want a fine and/or jail time? excuse me, That sounds like bad advise to me,stick to preventative measures and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom