hawk i saw yesterday

ams3651

Songster
12 Years
Jan 23, 2008
NE PA
When I was leaving home yesterday I saw a hawk flying above and had to pull over and look. Trailing from his talons was a snake at least 3-4 feet long. I was reminded that although we need to try our best to keep them away from chickens, they do serve a very good purpose. My fields would be over run with snakes, moles, mice, rabbits, etc if not for the pair of hawks that stay near by.

That's awesome. Years ago, I was riding in a gold cart and saw a hawk with a snake, it was so cool. Yes, they do serve a purpose, they take care of mice and rats too.

We have hawks, owls, eagles, and other birds around here. Actually see more eagles than anything.
It's scarry when you see one flying over your chickens or baby lambs. But it is beautiful at the same time.
I dont' mind seeing them as long as I don't have to see one of my animals in the air with them...
barnie.gif

I have seen them swoop down out of thin air and snatch a mouse out of the field, or a fish out of the stream. I have yet to see an animal of mine that high in the air.

They are beautiful to watch. Intreging(sp??) at the same time.

On a different note...Little story of my mom....
She was in the chicken coop about 2 years ago. Could hear the chickens making some noise outside but went about cleaning. After a while it was more noise than normal so she went to go check. Just as she was walking out the door (normal house door on the chicken coop) she felt something hit her head and pull. She instantly reached up to the top of her head and looked up at the same time...
There was an adult bald eagle flying up away from her with a chunk of her hair in it's claws. She brought her hand down and it was all bloody. She ended up having her scalp cut and a chunk of hair missing. (didn't get stitches). When she looked to the ground there was one of her favorite birds waiting to get in the coop. She figured the eagle had been flying around causing the chickens to be extra noisey and just as she was coming out to check on them the eagle was coming down for the chicken. Long story short...She saved her favorite chicken, but lost some hair....
ep.gif

Shawna

My favorite birds to watch hunting are ospreys. It's amazing how they can spot a fish accurately through the refraction of the water, swoop down through air and water to catch the fish in its talons, overcome the pull of gravity & the water to regain the air, and turn the wriggling fish around so that it's facing forwards and therefore more streamlined.

I don't like losing any chickens, but I find it much easier to handle when it's a hawk or snake or other wildlife hunting to survive rather than a dog or cat. Or raccoon, they've almost become domesticated animals the way they've made our yards their habitat and use human garbage & pet food to sustain them.

We have a red tail hawk near where I work. He also hangs out at the local airport. These birds do a great service to rid birds at the airports-birds can be the number one cause of planes having acidents. I love watching the turkey vultures too. Sometimes I believe they just enjoy riding on the air currents-like flying a kite! Recently a red tail attacked or scared a young girl at Fenway Park-it seems this bird had a nest at the baseball park and was protecting the nest. They removed the nest.

Back
Top Bottom