Hawk is picking off my flock!! Help!!

Stormyweather

Chirping
Dec 6, 2017
I have a free range flock of now only 7 adults and a new momma with 5 two week old chicks (hawk got one already). We are locking her in a chicken tractor today to keep her and babies safe but the hawk has already gotten two other adults in my flock in the last 24 hours!! And it didn’t eat either one, I just found them dead with no obvious trauma except broken necks. Is there anything I can do to deter or get rid of this hawk?? I’m worried I’ll lose my whole flock!!!! Thank you!

Putting them in a secure covered run is the only sure protection from raptors.

Yep! Cover them up for a while and see what happens. Going to need a roof! I just caught a bird of prey ontop of my covered run yesterday.

Attachments

• 1058AD7D-BA70-4E5B-857F-6B72B33BEBA5.jpeg
    1058AD7D-BA70-4E5B-857F-6B72B33BEBA5.jpeg
    792.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I have a free range flock of now only 7 adults and a new momma with 5 two week old chicks (hawk got one already). We are locking her in a chicken tractor today to keep her and babies safe but the hawk has already gotten two other adults in my flock in the last 24 hours!! And it didn’t eat either one, I just found them dead with no obvious trauma except broken necks. Is there anything I can do to deter or get rid of this hawk?? I’m worried I’ll lose my whole flock!!!! Thank you!
Someone suggested hanging discs up!! We have not had a SINGLE hawk attack since then. I hang them up anywhere I can. They sparkle and are actually really pretty on our grounds. It’s so heartbreaking to lose birds to hawks. I really hope this helps you. I lost my favorite buff to a hawk. But it’s been a year since a hawk got one now. Our problem is raccoons. But serious reinforcement to our hen house and side yard and hard core trapping seems to have solved that. Lost my gorgeous goose to a stinking raccoon. But I got him that night in a trap.
Good luck.

Yep! Cover them up for a while and see what happens. Going to need a roof! I just caught a hawk ontop of my covered run yesterday.
That little darling is a falcon but it's still capable of injuring a LF chicken and could probably kill a bantam.

Back
Top Bottom