Hawk Killed a Runner Duck

alandra_lee

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
My husband and I got 5 female ducklings a few months back. Now all 5 are full grown and beautiful. We built them a very secure duck house with small pen. During the day we let them run in our secure fenced in backyard. Today I looked out to see a hawk standing over one of our runner ducks. I ran outside and scared off the hawk. I grabbed the duck to find it was barely still alive, with part of its head/neck ripped out. It shortly died.

We though we had taken precautions. We had read up on duck keeping, referring primarily to Storey's guide. They mentioned hawks as a problem for ducklings, but not for full sized ducks. Now we cannot even let our ducks run in our fenced in backyard for fear of hawk. This hawk was barely even larger than our duck.

im sorry for your lose....get a couple geese...the big breeds do best....and you wont have any problems....i used to have a bothersome hawk so i got some geese (6) and since then i have not had one problem with hawks or anything really....

Sorry for your loss. I just lost a Campbell last eve to a huge red-tailed hawk. Geese are not really much of a deterrent to a determined attack. My obnoxious geese didn't even squawk once. They won't shut up for the slightest disturbance, but one of their coop mates gets killed and they're as silent as the grave.

Can you cover the run with deer netting?

This is one of my biggest fears. My duck pen is hawk proof but each afternoon I let my ducks out to free range in the fenced in backyard. I know they are much happier when they get out to "play" than not. I guess you just have to take this chance to make the duckies happy. I'd rather they be out playing and foraging than fenced in their coop all the time.
So sorry for your loss. It does hurt.

A Cooper's Hawk will take down a full grown chicken the size of a Gold Laced Wyandotte. I know...cuz it happened to me.

We let our birds free-range when we are outside with them due to all the predators around, especially hawks. I've seen one swoop down right in front of us, luckily he left with empty claws, but not much will stop them when they want something.

I am so sorry for your loss
sad.png

So we're putting together a ducky "day run" tomorrow that should protect against aerial predators. I just hate to limit them to their small run and duck house when we're in the house. Obviously they aren't safe free ranging in the yard. The runner duck was attacked and killed on our patio right by the back door while I was inside the house.

I had 5 ducks, now down to 4. I'd like to get an adult duck to replace our missing girl because I'm sad now when I only see 4 ducks. Any thoughts on where to look for an adult duck? I had ordered these as ducklings earlier this year from one of the mail order places.

so sorry for you loss. please check out www.petfinder.com and give a duck a home! i've gotten a few rescued ducks off of there. its a collection of kennels and animal rescues that came together with a colaboration of animal planet, discovery channels, and petco. You can search for specific animals and breeds and around your location... good luck finding a friend. but i think giving a needy duck a new home would help ease your situation..
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Through Petfinder.com I found my Crested Khaki Campbell. Petfinder got me in touch with Carolina Waterfowl rescue. I drove there and adopted "Travis A. Pompadore". He is the cutest thing.

Back
Top Bottom