hawk killed my runner

thedoors5to1

Songster
10 Years
Jun 12, 2009
after a close call earlier this year with a hawk.. and many times coming in contact, one managed to kill my blue runner duck when i wasnt around. i feel terrible that if maybe i had checked on them sooner i would have maybe saved her. The scene was not that bad actually considering what else ive seen.. there were feathers missing and a big cut on the base of the back of her skull.. you could see bone but there was absolutely no blood, not even any red. It was really wierd and now i feel guilty that she may have suffered unneccessarily. When i found her she was already pretty stiff and barely warm, her neck seemed intact but i remain unconvinced that the gash killed her... My remaining four ducks are terrified to go near that part of my yard now.. and i feel terrible because i know theres nothing i really can do if i want to freerange my ducks. arggh
barnie.gif
talk about frustration.. After i buried her remains the hawk returned to the scene and pushed feathers around and saw there was no body, it was a pretty big hawk im guessing a red tailed. I felt bad because its the circle of life and he must be pretty hungry, and now Something else will have to die because i wont let him eat her remains.. and for that i feel guilty.. im way to empathetic..
hmm.png

!

If it eases your suffering any, your duck probably died upon impact. Red tails have amazing power in their strike. A cooper's hawk making such an attack would have been more traumatic. Don't worry about the hawk. It will find another target. Be fully aware that if a resident, it will visit your yard periodically hoping that your ducks are available. Gird your defenses, and good luck.

thanks sourland, yeah he's a regular to the yard and tries to get an easy meal once and a while. when im around and i see him, i can get him to easily leave my yard by clapping very loud and fast. the noise seems to deter him away.. i always listen to the crows as welll, they always tell ya when the hawks close by the sound of thier calls.
hes been by everyday since the attack, still hungry i assume.. although hes quite lazy considering theres a pond with wild ducks yards from my house..
and i wish she had died on impact, i know she died fast but she didnt on impact.. i can tell she put up a fight by the trail of bloody tipped feathers behind her body. she made it probably five feet from the original attack site. poor thing..
does anyone know any good hawk detterants other than shiny tins, noise things, and fake owls??

thanks aussiedude248 for the information, im currently reading through the posts.
my ducks are safe and secure when they are caged up in thier 12X22 run, i covered it with chickenwire, top to bottom, even buried 2 feet in the ground.. hawks from above and coyotes digging below have been problems in the past. only when i let them out free are they in danger..
ive also been filling all my birdfeeders more often, feeding the crows and the little song birds help as they seem to chase away the predator.. and the crows warn me when hes around..
thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom