1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk killed two

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mpgo4th, Nov 3, 2016.

1. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I haven't been home during the day for three day. I get home and shut the coop up just after dark and I feed and water and let them out just before sunrise. I got home early yesterday and noticed the 9 week olds were all still in the coop. I went out and saw that I had two missing. I walk the fence line to check for holes and found the first one freshly killed and still recognizable. After a little searching I found a pile of feathers and a leg and bones from the second one. I've had predictors come before but they never got a kill let alone two. I'm so mad right now. The pen is 60 feet by 30 feet and now I put a 10x10 dog kennel in front of the coop with a tarp top. I hate that that's all the space they have.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Is your run covered? I have had 3 hawk attacks before and it was only able to kill on one of the attacks. The best advise if you don't have a covered run is to cover it.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Fishing line can work - kinda zig-zagged across the run. I actually use tree branches, palm leaves over my grow-out pen and it seems to work.

1 person likes this.
  4. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    It's covered now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by