Hawk killers? Liege Fighter?

He's not a Liege, but this young fella just fought off a hawk the other day. I don't know that he'd be able to kill one (wouldn't surprise me if he tried), but if he can keep them away from my hens and chicks he's worth his weight in gold to me. Good boy! đź’•
20200323_152229.jpg

I have 5 Liege fighter roosters, about 13 months old. While I have never seen them engage in a fight with a hawk, I will say, we have a bad hawk problem. I’m talking 20-30 hawks in the sky at the same time, circling our crops after harvest, and we haven’t had any hawks attack our chickens since we got our liege fighters. I think if you saw one of the roosters in person, you’d understand why the hawks don’t even want to challenge them! When they say their feet are as big as a turkeys feet, it’s very true! I also have full-grown turkeys so I can vouch for this. They are my favorite breed by far, for many reasons besides the flock protection. ❤️

I have 5 Liege fighter roosters, about 13 months old. While I have never seen them engage in a fight with a hawk, I will say, we have a bad hawk problem. I’m talking 20-30 hawks in the sky at the same time, circling our crops after harvest, and we haven’t had any hawks attack our chickens since we got our liege fighters. I think if you saw one of the roosters in person, you’d understand why the hawks don’t even want to challenge them! When they say their feet are as big as a turkeys feet, it’s very true! I also have full-grown turkeys so I can vouch for this. They are my favorite breed by far, for many reasons besides the flock protection. ❤
That's awesome! Thank you so much for the information! I was so upset to discover a hawk sitting atop my house yesterday, observing my flock. I startled him as much as he startled me and he flew into a neighboring field. It was definitely enough to worry me. I ordered eggs & am waiting for them anxiously, but it's been a long wait so far. I just hope for a good hatch. I really want to raise this breed. I'd truly love to see some pictures of your Leige! It would be wonderful if you could post some! I'm really glad your roos are doing a good job of protecting your flock and really appreciate your post!

That's awesome! Thank you so much for the information! I was so upset to discover a hawk sitting atop my house yesterday, observing my flock. I startled him as much as he startled me and he flew into a neighboring field. It was definitely enough to worry me. I ordered eggs & am waiting for them anxiously, but it's been a long wait so far. I just hope for a good hatch. I really want to raise this breed. I'd truly love to see some pictures of your Leige! It would be wonderful if you could post some! I'm really glad your roos are doing a good job of protecting your flock and really appreciate your post!

Image 1: This is a splash growout that Is really starting to grow. Approximately 4 months old.

image 2: Splash and blue hens back when they were about 7 months old. They’ve grown A LOT since then!

image 3: This is the King! He’s my 14 month old breeding rooster, and sweet as can be!

image 4: One of my extra roosters who helps protect my free-range hens! He’s up for sale, along with 1 other rooster. Probably 11 months old in this pic, now 14 months old.

image 5: Another pic of the King! When he was a bit younger.

f
8C463D03-BDB3-4A96-AF75-401859D1A7B8.jpeg
A8DF1B21-7811-4639-BF9E-708173C6F64B.jpeg

D948421A-7E42-4C23-BFBA-60D3DEE47CFD.jpeg
85DFCC37-9795-4B73-8DF7-38775D1A0430.jpeg

Attachments

• 9E3F174E-494F-4DC3-A9AD-E89810552124.jpeg
    9E3F174E-494F-4DC3-A9AD-E89810552124.jpeg
    862.1 KB · Views: 13
Image 1: This is a splash growout that Is really starting to grow. Approximately 4 months old.

image 2: Splash and blue hens back when they were about 7 months old. They’ve grown A LOT since then!

image 3: This is the King! He’s my 14 month old breeding rooster, and sweet as can be!

image 4: One of my extra roosters who helps protect my free-range hens! He’s up for sale, along with 1 other rooster. Probably 11 months old in this pic, now 14 months old.

image 5: Another pic of the King! When he was a bit younger.

fView attachment 2279062View attachment 2279061
View attachment 2279057View attachment 2279058
Oh my! BEAUTIFUL!! They're all lovely! I agree that King is the king!! Lol. Very nice!! I'm messaging you.

I have Liege Fighters and seen the rooster charge and attempt to grab a swooping hawk out of the air. Most hawks are too fast for any rooster to catch it. But I have zero doubt that if a hen was putting up a fight and the hawk thus distracted enough to not fly away, the Liege rooster would have a good chance at killing it. I happened across this thread in search of Liege hatching eggs because I lost my rooster last night. He had fought and killed a possum, been swarmed by a gnat infestation and sick with a respiratory bug all in one week. He had survived many things that would take out most roosters. He was intelligent enough to be taught commands like a dog and knew "go away" "drop it" and would come when called by name. He was 31 inches tall and 14lbs at his death.

14 pounds! WOW. I wish these birds were compatible with my current flock. For anyone who owns these, how agile are they? Like how high up do they like to roost and how high up can they roost without hurting themselves? 5ft? 10ft 12ft?

I have Liege Fighters and seen the rooster charge and attempt to grab a swooping hawk out of the air. Most hawks are too fast for any rooster to catch it. But I have zero doubt that if a hen was putting up a fight and the hawk thus distracted enough to not fly away, the Liege rooster would have a good chance at killing it. I happened across this thread in search of Liege hatching eggs because I lost my rooster last night. He had fought and killed a possum, been swarmed by a gnat infestation and sick with a respiratory bug all in one week. He had survived many things that would take out most roosters. He was intelligent enough to be taught commands like a dog and knew "go away" "drop it" and would come when called by name. He was 31 inches tall and 14lbs at his death.
Do you have any experience with Liege Fighter hens? Are they at all protective like the roosters?

I want to add to my mixed flock, but would like some added protection from hawks if possible. I already have a rooster with a Napoleon complex, and he doesn’t take kindly to other gentleman.

Hawks took out my first small flock of bantams except for my rooster (I know...it was my first go at being a chicken mom. bantams clearly weren’t the smartest choice...)

I now have a mixed flock of 11 standard sized hens, and one rooster—the bantam Cochin. He is really good at his job—protective, alert, and honestly kind of a jerk unless you’re a hen...—but he weighs maybe 4 pounds and obviously can’t do much damage if he had to take on a hawk or other predators. There has been a red tailed hawk around lately, and it’s only a matter of time before someone gets hurt or worse.

Do you think adding a Leige Fighter hen would be beneficial?

Liege hens are much smaller than the roosters, and hens only look out for themselves. A turkey hen is about the size of a Liege rooster and could work.
Interesting. And thanks for the feedback!
So they are protective/ alert as well? I don’t know much about turkeys and their temperament.

Back
Top Bottom