Hawk nest in the backyard

We had a hawk show up a few weeks back, one of our chicks disappeared, so we figure it was the hawk,..next thing you know the universe decided to send us a crow,...no more hawk,..so funny. If that didn't happen I am not sure what I would do,..think there is a lot of good advice here though.

Before we got chickens last year I loved watching the hawks circle and land in our yard. I am a city slicker and before we moved here in '08 I had never seen a hawk up close. Anyway we have chickens and now they are not so great. One got one of my GLW earlier this year but couldn't keep hold of it I guess or grabbed mostly feathers. She survived with little/no wounds.

Last week I looked out my window and there was a hawk sitting on my top roo's (we have two) favorite perching spot next to the chickens favorite hiding spot- these HUGE holly bush/ I-don't-know-what bushes we have. They are 15 feet tall and very thick. I was only alerted to this because our EE started going crazy and then I saw both roos come charging out of the bush and scared/startled the hawk and he flew off. I was so impressed!

We do have lots of tree cover but the hawk blends in very well and will roost on lower branches to check things out. They definitely hunt in pairs and call to each other. My hubby thinks they have a nest in our woods somewhere.

We do have crows but hear them less than the hawks unless its fall then you see and hear them all the time. It does not seem like they scare off hawks since we don't see them much when its warm. We also have owls but rarely see them. We know they are there though. I wish they hung out closer to the coop!

Anyway, we have been lucky so far with only a near miss. Our worst predator was a neighbors dog that got 7 of our chickens in two days. My advice be prepared for anything. Be on guard when they are free ranging when you are home. Every attack we have had or near miss, I have been home or even outside.

Back
Top Bottom