Hawk no-more.

Stonerowfarm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Cheshire, MA
For the last few days the hens were keeping into the coop, not coming out unless there were treats in the offering. Today I heard a loud thump. Went out looking around and sure enough a big ole' hawk had flown into the front window. Don't know if he was going for the rabbit hiding under the tree or my little pomerian sitting in the window. Hopefully the hens will start coming around again and stay out of the coop for a bit. Now, I just have to worry about his hunting partner.

I have my hens in a run with black mesh covering on the top. Will hawks try to go through that? Or are the ladies just fearful because he was around?

Quote:
As long as the window doesn't break, it might work. My neighbor used to have a wild turkey tom that free ranged. I had a turkey hen. One day the tom came to court my hen. He saw his relection in one of our windows, and attacked it. He shattered the window and scared the daylights out of me.

I have deer netting over my run. And we have hawks around here. When a hawk comes around, all of the chickens head into the run and the hawks (to my knowledge) have never gotten through the netting.

I use deer netting as well and have never had a hawk get through. I have had juvenile red tails get their talons tangled in it.
I have had a terrible hawk issue this year, they are as thick as thieves.
The last two days I was off and I let my hens free range, well yesterday after about the 6th time of running out after hearing my paniced hens screaming I decided to round them up and put them in their coop and run.

One thing that has happened to me is that my pheasants will sit outside in their run overnight. An owl often comes along and flies into the deer netting, and the pheasants fly up into it. They get themselves tangled up, and the owl will eat their heads off. In the morning, I find dead bodies with no heads laying in the pen. Discouraging!

Back
Top Bottom