Hawk problem.....anyone know how long they will hang around?

Quote:
That is not true. Most hawks migrate, and, depending on where you are, he will probably eventually move on. Even if they live there year round, they DO NOT hang around until are your birds are gone, although they may hang around long enough to get a couple more. Most have a big territory and most of the year there is lots of stuff that is easier for them to eat. At least, that has always been our experience, and we have had free range chickens for five years. Hang some old cd's or dvd's, that spin in the wind, and flash. Decorative wind spinners help, too, or metallic fringe. Next time you see the hawk, fire off a few bottle rockets in the air. Not at the hawk, just in the air. Last time we did that, the hawks left and have not been back, that was a month ago. It is true that owls will kill hawks, so a plastic owl is a good idea, too, just move it around once in a while.
PS: just to avoid an argument, I should add that ours do learn how to watch for and avoid the hawks; obviously if yours are in an open pen a hawk might stick around til they're all gone. Our roosters are a big help in warning the flock against predators, including hawks.

Really? Someone needs to tell the hawks around here that, because apparently they don't know that they're ever supposed to leave. I have a hawk sit in one of my trees every single day for the last few years watching those chickens, but thanks for the info.
roll.png

P.S. I've had free range chickens for longer than you've probably been alive.
old.gif

I just want to let you know I learned the hard way tonight that the CD method does NOT work for me. I had several hanging over bushes at various heights and I walked outside and a small sharp-shinned hawk (juvenile) was sitting on a juvenile eating away, so don't think you're safe with the CDs. I'm moving on to other means....not going to discuss on this board.

The plastic owl doesn't work either. Had a Cooper's hawk land in the yard yesterday afternoon but I scared it away. I did come home today to find yet another dead chicken but I don't think it's the hawks. That's 4 chickens in two weeks and I'm not a happy camper.

I have four or five redtailed hawks who live in the woods behind my house, so my new 10 x 18 run is going to be covered with clear fiberglass. Granted, it's a small run, but it will sure give me peace of mind knowing the hawks can't get them in the run. However, I also plan on free ranging them, so I hope my rooster is on his toes. I also have a French Mastiff who patrols the 5 acres when he's not sleeping on the couch.
roll.png

Once any predator gets a taste for livestock, whether it be yours or somebody else's, it WILL come back for more and it will teach its babies to come back and eat your livestock as well. I think its best to take precautionary measures first but if that's not working then its time to go out and take matters into your own hands.

I called my local game commission a few weeks ago...there's even a link to the same facts at the top of this board.

They ask you try to 'scare' the bird away before hand. Yelling, waving your hands, deterrents "if" you can afford them. BUT if the hawk IS destroying property, livestock )not just scaring them) than you can get a permit to destroy the hawk.

They will help you identify the species.

As far as I'm aware, that's national law, not local.

And I hate to say, I doubt tree cover would cure, maybe help, but not cure. I was out today to let the girls out later, because it was much colder this morning Dh didn't want to let them out at 6:30. At 10:30 there was something BIG...not a red tail, in the trees in my neighbors property swooping towards my dogs. Rare I see one by itself but I didn't see a partner. And no chickens out to attract it yet either. He flew right through tree cover, and right around my 100' tall sycamore. My dogs were going wild, lol. I think that hawk would get a nasty surprise if he went to close to the mastiff.

Around here as well, hawks, falcons, and eagles do not migrate. They are close to a food source and in a valley in PA we get fairly mild winters for the north. People are always amazed at the amount of geese that stop HERE for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom