Hawk Protection

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
I was reading in Gail Damerow's Story's Guide to Raising Chickens about using wires strung at 7 foot high, with old CDs hanging from it to deter hawks and such. I was wondering if anyone has tried something like this successfully for ducks? Our larger run has no covering and am increasingly concerned about predators from above. Wondering how my ducks would adjust to little silver things hanging above their heads (lots of "ducky looks") and whether it would be effective.

I've also read about that -- and there's some reflective tape too that might work as well. I can't really use either one as my duck / goose / chicken pen moves every few days but I'd think they would work pretty well -- better than anything except bird netting.

I like the geese - I think I'd have lost ducks or chickens to hawks, but they see the geese and think ---- hmm ---- too big. At least so far! I also keep mine in areas that have a lot of tree cover so they have a place to run to when the rooster does his warning call. We have huge hayfields all around us, and luckily the hawks and eagles have all decided that the rats and mice are much easier to deal with . .. which is fine with me!

I bought a mesh shade tarp that allows rain to pass thru off ebay. It keeps my ducks cool and safe. I have never tried the cd thing.

Back
Top Bottom