hawk question...

silkiechick05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
North Texas
You know how many say to give the chickens a lot of cover such as bushes, pallets, etc., for them to run under when a hawk attacks??

Why doesn't the hawk follow them into the bushes to grab them??

?????

From the best of my knowledge..I have never seen a hawk attack once on the ground. It will strike from the air and maybe tangle with the prey once it has it in it's talons. that is why if birds go into the bush, the hawk will not follow it in. I used to have chickens running around in the pasture and the hawk would attack from the air. if the chickens ran into the barn or the thick part of a bush, they were safe.

I would say the general rule is that hawks do not chase their prey on the ground. That being said I did see it once on my place. The hawk chased the chickens in and out of the honey suckle hedge row. I will tell you their is a reason they don't chase their prey while on the ground, those big talons make them very clumsy and slow.

Hawks DO chase their prey on the ground.

I am sure others here have witnessed this, but I have personally seen hawks, especially Coopers and Sharp-Shinned, get on the ground and scurry after chickens and catch babies in the bushes, it happens extremely fast but some hawks are not afraid to chase their prey out from thick brush.

You will LOVE this video, watch the Cooper's in action ground hunting.

-Nathan

Hmmm

Makes sense.

I was just wondering, and looks like ya'll have good explanations!!

ETA:

Wow that is a really cool video. It was so fast too. I wouldn't want to be that bird... those talons are huge!

Last edited:
Its because hawks feel safe from up top, hawks will usualy never risk anything

I used to maintain a black vulture, also often mistakenly reffered to as a buzzard, and they can move VERY fast by hopping. They can outrun humans FYI.

Last year (while this hawk was still active), I had one actually follow one of the chickens into the barn. This is really unheard of and he got her and took her out and promptly killed her right at the barn door. It was just amazing to watch this.

This year I have Guinea Fowl and they WILL NOT allow a hawk into the barn. This is their roost and they are very protective of their roost.

Back
Top Bottom