Hawk ruined my day

kyron4

Chirping
Apr 9, 2019
Northern Indiana
I had a male and female pair of Ruien ducks that were never more than 3 feet apart , ever. they just turned 11 months old and we were looking forward to eggs in the next few weeks. I see the drake in the duck house, alone and I already knew she was gone. Found her in the wetland/ drainage ditch still in the water with her neck eaten to the bone. Lots of cover (cattails, willows, etc. ) be hawk got in there through the narrow opening. That's the 3rd bird in a year lost to hawks. I have a good dog and a rooster, but short of penning them up all day what are some option to deter hawk attacks ? The crow decoys didn't help. -Thanks

I had a male and female pair of Ruien ducks that were never more than 3 feet apart , ever. they just turned 11 months old and we were looking forward to eggs in the next few weeks. I see the drake in the duck house, alone and I already knew she was gone. Found her in the wetland/ drainage ditch still in the water with her neck eaten to the bone. Lots of cover (cattails, willows, etc. ) be hawk got in there through the narrow opening. That's the 3rd bird in a year lost to hawks. I have a good dog and a rooster, but short of penning them up all day what are some option to deter hawk attacks ? The crow decoys didn't help. -Thanks
So sorry about your duck. :hugs
What time of day were they taken? Was the drake locked in the duck house?
Although it's not guaranteed but having a bigger animal hanging with them, such as a dog, goats or donkeys, etc. makes the hawk fearful. That has been MY experience anyway.
And lots of cover. I know my chickens RUN sometimes from the garage to the BIG tree so I figure they know something I don't.. I also have a goose with them who is 14 yrs old and very smart.

Goose would be a better option for hawk control when vulnerable birds around water.

I would be checking for other possible bad guys was well when kill occurred very close to water and in heavy cover. Working out details on how perp did deed is part of what I use to make corrections.

Drake was in the duck house by his own will , door was open, he ran and hid there, he didn't want to come out. It happened about 1pm on a clear sunny day. Saw the hawk in a nearby tree, plus he came back later looking for the body . The dog spooked him off the duck but it was to late, he can't be everywhere at once, a lot of land to cover. We have LOTS of cover on the property, the chicken were under the pines about 70 yds. away. Ducks go their own way. The waterway is flanked by 6' - 8' tall willows and cattails but hawk must have swooped in over the open waterway about 4 ' to 6' wide.

Tell me more about a goose, my daughters been saying we need one. Are they noisy ? Breeds ? Male / Female ? Hawk deterrents ? We also have a turkey in the flock but she doesn't do much, pretty dumb bird.
thanks

A goose is more watchful than a chicken and can see better. That's what I read anyway and they alert the chickens which gives them a chance to run for shelter. Ducks probably have the same visual ability.
Geese do not protect my chickens from hawks but I feel their larger presence makes the hawk think twice about coming down. Just a guess because I haven't seen any hawks since we moved in.
Free ranging ducks are very hard to keep safe which is why I don't currently have any.

Back
Top Bottom