Furious and stumped...I've known predators in past, but this!

mominoz

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 17, 2009
North Georgia
I know what coon attacks, possums , dog attacks ect. look like. Been a long time. I lock my ducks and geese into 4ft kennel fenced area at night with NOW 3 strands of hot wire around it. The gates only have one at the top. Daytime my birds get let out in 4ft tall fenced small pastures with Super African geese. The first attack or two , then we realised fence was not making contact, so I beefed it up, added more strands. Now I am locking most of my show stock and new babies up in cramped night pens because of attacks . Except for 2 other groups that only have open shelters or nest boxes (inside the night yard that is fenced.
This is what I am finding. Lost 3 Grey Runners with necks torn off, 2 with necks eaten, not the head or bodies in late morning a couple days apart (inside the night yard). Then a week later , nobody in morning, but later in afternoon I found one who must have gone inside night yard to drink or look for food... with head and neck totally gone...body intact. Again I checked everything, put out trap. Then I found a runner in the other side in a different night pen with it's neck and head gone totally. (this is when I started locking as many as I could at night up. I had a young African goose with neck shredded, but alive in my day yard, but considered that maybe she had not come in with others and my dogs did it, before we let the others out (dogs are not out when birds are in that area, but they have hurt birds in past when mistakes were made... At this point I was wondering if I had an aerial predator and a 4 legged one. ..Finally after catchin neighbors cat one night in trap, a possum was caught. I thought maybe that was it . Still I locked up. Tonight I was late locking up and it was after dark. I found one of my Welsh Harlequin ducks still mostly on her nest, against the aviary , under a partial overhang. with neck and head missing. No sign of struggle. her wings neatly folded, no feathers loose in area. Blood not completely dried. I had noticed with the other runners that not many feathers flung around. But this one, it was if she was killed immediately without any struggle , body not moved from nest. .......Yes we are in farm lands, forest behind, plenty of trees and bushes...I know there are coyotes, bobcats, seen foxes on my land, hawks overhead, and of course raccoons, possums, skunks. In North Ga. You name it we probably have it. (and the college 15 miles away are breeding bald eagles ... I am beginning to think hawk or owl. There are large oaks and Sweet gum in night pens ... and it is smart enough to only be getting the birds in the night pen area, not outside in the pastures... Or maybe I have 2 predators? ... This predator had to go between 3 fences, like an alleyway , with an overhang about 4 ft above the nest, next to a fenced aviary... so tight area, several fences did not deter it... There was still one gate open, , but it was again an area it had to go over a couple fences, and I had my solar lights all over the place, so it is partially lit... I would say typical dusk , early morning attacks... except for the one or two I know were not there in morning, but mid afternoon to early evening. (and the goose seems to be an outlier). ... Once I did hear the geese making a racket one of the days a bird was killed ... I don't have any trail cams, they seem complicated or take pics of everything, and would be snapping photos all day of 15-25 birds freeranging, and seem complicated to set up. I am not a young techy type. But if anyone can recommend a simple one or that might apply in this situation, just reading the boxes doesn't help.

I know what coon attacks, possums , dog attacks ect. look like. Been a long time. I lock my ducks and geese into 4ft kennel fenced area at night with NOW 3 strands of hot wire around it. The gates only have one at the top. Daytime my birds get let out in 4ft tall fenced small pastures with Super African geese. The first attack or two , then we realised fence was not making contact, so I beefed it up, added more strands. Now I am locking most of my show stock and new babies up in cramped night pens because of attacks . Except for 2 other groups that only have open shelters or nest boxes (inside the night yard that is fenced.
This is what I am finding. Lost 3 Grey Runners with necks torn off, 2 with necks eaten, not the head or bodies in late morning a couple days apart (inside the night yard). Then a week later , nobody in morning, but later in afternoon I found one who must have gone inside night yard to drink or look for food... with head and neck totally gone...body intact. Again I checked everything, put out trap. Then I found a runner in the other side in a different night pen with it's neck and head gone totally. (this is when I started locking as many as I could at night up. I had a young African goose with neck shredded, but alive in my day yard, but considered that maybe she had not come in with others and my dogs did it, before we let the others out (dogs are not out when birds are in that area, but they have hurt birds in past when mistakes were made... At this point I was wondering if I had an aerial predator and a 4 legged one. ..Finally after catchin neighbors cat one night in trap, a possum was caught. I thought maybe that was it . Still I locked up. Tonight I was late locking up and it was after dark. I found one of my Welsh Harlequin ducks still mostly on her nest, against the aviary , under a partial overhang. with neck and head missing. No sign of struggle. her wings neatly folded, no feathers loose in area. Blood not completely dried. I had noticed with the other runners that not many feathers flung around. But this one, it was if she was killed immediately without any struggle , body not moved from nest. .......Yes we are in farm lands, forest behind, plenty of trees and bushes...I know there are coyotes, bobcats, seen foxes on my land, hawks overhead, and of course raccoons, possums, skunks. In North Ga. You name it we probably have it. (and the college 15 miles away are breeding bald eagles ... I am beginning to think hawk or owl. There are large oaks and Sweet gum in night pens ... and it is smart enough to only be getting the birds in the night pen area, not outside in the pastures... Or maybe I have 2 predators? ... This predator had to go between 3 fences, like an alleyway , with an overhang about 4 ft above the nest, next to a fenced aviary... so tight area, several fences did not deter it... There was still one gate open, , but it was again an area it had to go over a couple fences, and I had my solar lights all over the place, so it is partially lit... I would say typical dusk , early morning attacks... except for the one or two I know were not there in morning, but mid afternoon to early evening. (and the goose seems to be an outlier). ... Once I did hear the geese making a racket one of the days a bird was killed ... I don't have any trail cams, they seem complicated or take pics of everything, and would be snapping photos all day of 15-25 birds freeranging, and seem complicated to set up. I am not a young techy type. But if anyone can recommend a simple one or that might apply in this situation, just reading the boxes doesn't help.
How awful for you. I'm so sorry for your losses.

It's an owl. An owl will only eat the neck and won't go after all of them even if they could. I'm sorry for your loss @mominoz ❤️
I was thinking maybe owl, unfortunately. I have looked up in the trees, but there are plenty of staging areas for a owl or hawk in the night pens. I was rather shocked when something went after the Grey Runners, they are very tall, around 2.5 feet or more tall and camouflaged. Never had anything take a runner in 20 years. ...But nothing had gotten into night yards except one time in the last 17 years. ( fence was down, got 3 Saxony, coons). It was just the lack of struggle. Like something got them immediately... and ignored the flesh on the body...

I was thinking maybe owl, unfortunately. I have looked up in the trees, but there are plenty of staging areas for a owl or hawk in the night pens. I was rather shocked when something went after the Grey Runners, they are very tall, around 2.5 feet or more tall and camouflaged. Never had anything take a runner in 20 years. ...But nothing had gotten into night yards except one time in the last 17 years. ( fence was down, got 3 Saxony, coons). It was just the lack of struggle. Like something got them immediately... and ignored the flesh on the body...
Yeah owls are some of the dumbest chicken killing predators on the planet; other than bloody raccoons. They will completely ignore the actual food and just eat the neck, and, if they are feeling particularly hungry, will eat the head.

If you have owls you should be able to hear them in the early evening. Quite a few times now I've walked out the back to an owl staring me in the eyes from the porch railing. They come closer when we have chicks but they're out there hunting in the forest most of the time. Sure hope you don't lose any more!

Can you string something across the top of the outdoor area, like thick rope netting or streamers, bunting etc, something that moves? That might keep aerial predators away.

Can you string something across the top of the outdoor area, like thick rope netting or streamers, bunting etc, something that moves? That might keep aerial predators away.
Yes, after each attack , I am doing MORE! arrgh. I am going to move my BLAck EASt Indies out of their 10X6 fully caged pen into one of the raised pens (I have raised pens for my bantams) and put the Welsh Harlequins in that at night or at least some. I have 2 drakes that are kinda aggressive to another drake , so I may have to split them into 2 groups and rig a pen for the others. My other poultry apartment house is full of young Dorkings and Phoneix right now, unless I put one group of of Dorkings out in a pen I have vacant (that I was going to move and took the net off of and disposed of it (pool net).. drat! But the female Welsh are silver and gold and really stand out . And no more getting out late to lock the gates...
Today I will try stringing some silver reflectors I use on my apple trees. I had bought a silver wind moving thingie and put it up a week ago... but not sure it is in right spot. And I may get the ladder out and granny will be climbing and stringing lines around the pen. I ALSO will be buying another trap, so I can put one on each side of night yard., in case it is also 4 legged ones too.
My night yard is a added onto the orginal so now it stretches like a big L with a carport aviary that is completely fenced and divided I used for locking up groups or young. Unfortunately I have a young peacock pair taking up 2/3 of it, until we can build another pen or I decide to sell one pair...
I do have hawks on property, but never had a problem with them. I do see and hear one lately. I did see one swoop down near my Dorking coop, but pulled up when it got near the electric fence netting at the last minute. They go in theirs at night before dusk and haven't lost any. Only chickens I lose are those that fly over the fence and refuse to be caught.... find bones or feathers later.
We are having a drought right now and maybe my duck ponds are drawing some critters closer...
I will NOT let them kill all my Show birds! I had one attack a couple years ago ( I got slack and the electric fencer had taken a lightening strike and it was down) and raccoons got in and killed my 4 best Saxony Ducks SQ . So this is the first major attack in 17 years since we moved here . Even with all the electric fencing, ect.
I also am dividing my birds , so something doesn't get all of them in one night. I may well pen up some in chicken house and sacrifice some of the chickens for the ducks. These are Dave Holderreads lines and he has been retiring ...

Back
Top Bottom