1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk Stalking My Peeps And Landing On Top Of Run!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RoosterRidge, Sep 28, 2011.

1. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    I would have never believed this had I not seen it with my own eyes. A hawk landed on top of the run. Thankfully our big boy got his girls and hurried into the coop. I thought it had left but here is came again. Landing on top of the run again. I usually keep boards laying on top to keep the heat down but had removed them yesterday to try and dry the run out. We have had rain for a week straight. The run is covered in wire so no way it could have gotten in to hurt my girls. I would say it was about a 1/3 the size of our smallest hen. Is it possible that even though it's size is smaller than my peeps it could still get one when they are free ranging? I know we have alot of hawks here but I have never seen one this close to my babies.

2. user104534

user104534 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2011
    Put lots of sticky fly paper on the top of your run. That'll teach him.

If the hawk can't carry off your hens it'll just rip them apart right there and take what it can.

3. deChickyHen

deChickyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Give him a hose bath, I did, no more tryna get my babies.... you know not to hurt them , but to soak them. They don't like that

4. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    You can tie CDs to the top or dangle them from the roof of the run. The hawks generally don't like the sun shining off of them.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    With my birds, the rooster will intervene to protect his offspring. Coopers (I assume is targeting you chicks / juveniles) seem hardwired to go after smallest birds in flock leaving rooster and sometimes hen free to launch counter attack. It pretty cool to see how a free ranging game rooster and hen will position himself / themselves between Coopers hawk and offspring, and fluff up like a ticked of hen and charge hawk if it is low. The Coopers seem not to know what to do and leave. Based on similar altercation witnessed involving an American kestrel and a juvenile game chicken, the chickens can kill a small hawk in very short order if the chickens can get a hold of it. Coopers seem aware of risk as wild turkeys likely present same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by