Hawk stole a young chicken! How to deter them?

No chicken is as valuable as a bird of prey! That is why they are protected! Most states offer rewards for turning in criminals and ignorant persons who kill protected animals. I am a hunter friendly, meat eating, life long chicken person. I would gladly turn in, for free, any ignorant scumbag who kills an Eagle, hawk or owl. I can understand killing a snake in the coop or a coop raiding fox, raccoon , or mink. I have trapped and shot some myself. If you feel compelled to kill raptors over free ranging your chickens, you should not free range! There are billions of chickens! Most of us are not subsistence hunters or farmers, anymore, and have some education. It is possible to lower your losses while free ranging without killing the local wild Raptors, but it is not likely you can prevent any losses from wildlife to a free ranged flock, over time. Sometimes you can be lucky for years, sometimes they will start after the domestic birds almost immediately! Do not keep chickens free range if you can not tolerate some losses and are not willing or able to provide the security you desire, without resorting to killing important and protected raptors! This web sight should warn posters and remove post suggesting criminal activity and bad flock management that encourages the ignorant to use a bullet, instead of being responsible for their flocks safety, without regards to the natural wonders that are Raptors and resorting to criminality! I have kept chickens as an adult, on my own, for well over 40 years and have tried a lot of things and made some mistakes. I never resorted to killing raptors and try to avoid killing anything, by making my birds safe enough to satisfy me and keep my flock safe through protective devices, runs, coops and vigilance. When my energy level and the predations were not in synch, I stopped free ranging, for the most part. My chickens are healthy, produce well and are kept with plenty of space per bird. I grow treats and feed as well as purchasing feed. I do not tolerate losses well, hence my covered run. If you ever see or know of anyone kill a raptor, call your local game and fish commission! The reward for turning in the ignorant criminals can go up to $10,000 and so can the fines! $500 rewards are offered for turning in criminals, for the illegally killing of most protected animals and is about the minimum fine, as well, for most species of protected non game animals. The offenders can have their guns confiscated and even have some jail time, as well, ordered by the judge. Many good people have offered various methods to reduce predation by raptors on free range chickens and many of these methods are fairly effective. Long narrow fenced runs with flash tape/ribbons tied to strings over the top works well, usually, to stop hawks and owls, without covered runs, for me in the past. Anyone, who suggest shooting raptors, is suggesting criminal behavior, but worse, it is just ignorant and selfish! Not sorry, if anyone is offended by the truth! We could debate this, but that would be allowing the ignorant to embarrass themselves, and reveal their criminal nature. I will not respond to fools or criminals about this topic , that want to act like children, fools or criminals by supporting murdering birds of prey over a domestic chicken that could easily be protected from predation.
We won't kill a hawk or eagle. Their to beautiful. Even if it stole my chicken..... Heck, I even went over to see if a hawk got hurt when it flew into a tree trunk when it was being cased by a flock of tiny birds. Would have called a rehabilitator if I saw it injured on the ground.

One word..... Crows....
They are super territorial, and don't tolerate flying predators in their home territory. I feed them on a raised platform, suet, meat, chicken feed, etc.. and always keep water for them and other birds. They have a nest on my property, and they actively chase all flying predators away, and we see a lot of them. A dog can warn that they're in the area, or a goose etc, but the crows actively harass them till they leave. I love crows almost as much as my fuzzy butts.
Also make sure your chickies have lots of tall grass, and covered hiding places ( 4x8 sheet of ply with legs, is sufficient), so they don't make good out in the open targets. (Also my chicks are always in a fully secure pen till they are old enough that the crows don't see them as dinner....)

Last edited:
One word..... Crows....
They are super territorial, and don't tolerate flying predators in their home territory. I feed them on a raised platform, suet, meat, chicken feed, etc.. and always keep water for them and other birds. They have a nest on my property, and they actively chase all flying predators away, and we see a lot of them. A dog can warn that they're in the area, or a goose etc, but the crows actively harass them till they leave. I love crows almost as much as my fuzzy butts.
Also make sure your chickies have lots of tall grass, and covered hiding places ( 4x8 sheet of ply with legs, is sufficient), so they don't make good out in the open targets. (Also my chicks are always in a fully secure pen till they are old enough that the crows don't see them as dinner....)
I love corvids, we have fed them for years ftom our scraps, but the regular family has not been seen this year. :hit

No chicken is as valuable as a bird of prey! That is why they are protected! Most states offer rewards for turning in criminals and ignorant persons who kill protected animals. I am a hunter friendly, meat eating, life long chicken person. I would gladly turn in, for free, any ignorant scumbag who kills an Eagle, hawk or owl. I can understand killing a snake in the coop or a coop raiding fox, raccoon , or mink. I have trapped and shot some myself. If you feel compelled to kill raptors over free ranging your chickens, you should not free range! There are billions of chickens! Most of us are not subsistence hunters or farmers, anymore, and have some education. It is possible to lower your losses while free ranging without killing the local wild Raptors, but it is not likely you can prevent any losses from wildlife to a free ranged flock, over time. Sometimes you can be lucky for years, sometimes they will start after the domestic birds almost immediately! Do not keep chickens free range if you can not tolerate some losses and are not willing or able to provide the security you desire, without resorting to killing important and protected raptors! This web sight should warn posters and remove post suggesting criminal activity and bad flock management that encourages the ignorant to use a bullet, instead of being responsible for their flocks safety, without regards to the natural wonders that are Raptors and resorting to criminality! I have kept chickens as an adult, on my own, for well over 40 years and have tried a lot of things and made some mistakes. I never resorted to killing raptors and try to avoid killing anything, by making my birds safe enough to satisfy me and keep my flock safe through protective devices, runs, coops and vigilance. When my energy level and the predations were not in synch, I stopped free ranging, for the most part. My chickens are healthy, produce well and are kept with plenty of space per bird. I grow treats and feed as well as purchasing feed. I do not tolerate losses well, hence my covered run. If you ever see or know of anyone kill a raptor, call your local game and fish commission! The reward for turning in the ignorant criminals can go up to $10,000 and so can the fines! $500 rewards are offered for turning in criminals, for the illegally killing of most protected animals and is about the minimum fine, as well, for most species of protected non game animals. The offenders can have their guns confiscated and even have some jail time, as well, ordered by the judge. Many good people have offered various methods to reduce predation by raptors on free range chickens and many of these methods are fairly effective. Long narrow fenced runs with flash tape/ribbons tied to strings over the top works well, usually, to stop hawks and owls, without covered runs, for me in the past. Anyone, who suggest shooting raptors, is suggesting criminal behavior, but worse, it is just ignorant and selfish! Not sorry, if anyone is offended by the truth! We could debate this, but that would be allowing the ignorant to embarrass themselves, and reveal their criminal nature. I will not respond to fools or criminals about this topic , that want to act like children, fools or criminals by supporting murdering birds of prey over a domestic chicken that could easily be protected from predation.
If we are placing relative value, I often think the same thing about humans - too darned many of us overpopulating and overwhelming the planet, say, compared to a gorilla and some fool who carelessly let their offspring fall into a zoo enclosuree.... Our world his has a serious need for aggressive family planning.

That aside I also understand for some folks, a chicken is a meal or much more, and any loss can be dear. Not every senior or disabled person or just someone without work can afford to buy or cut fenceposts, buy wire or netting to surround an enclosure, or rope to string across a yard, or can even walk around a yard to reach up and string up old cds. I am lucky to make it to my barn where I used to have horses, but kidney transplant and stroke have made mobility very difficult for me. My hubby too was injured at work and disabled. Till last month when I finally got disability, we were living on $2200 CAD a month ($8000 below the poverty line in Canada) and were grateful for that because loads of folks around here live on less, and *significantly less. Now with my CPP disability coming in (first payment this month!!!)we are at the poverty level, yet consider ourselves fortunate and far better off - we won't go hungry or be cold this year for sure, and I am so grateful for all that we do have.

In a province where you can need home heating 7-8 months a year, where the closest grocery store is a 15 minute drive away, every meal can be vital, and just getting to a store costs money (car, fuel, insurance, maintenance). A smallish chicken here is now $8-12 at the store. Some folks are lucky to have a small shed or doghouse to house a few birds in, and free range them to save on feed.

I too respect raptors, all predators and prey, the environment. I also try to remember to put myself in the shoes of others.

Two summers ago I lost 3 chicks, that were about 2 months old, to hawks and at least one of them to a stray cat. So I went to work and put a 1/2" hardware cloth roof on the run and then didn't let them out into the yard for several weeks. The coop was already fully enclosed. I had read that birds of prey will return again and again when they find success at a certain location. I haven't lost any chickens since and they do get to be out of the coop/run daily. But I'm very watchful and so is the Barnevelder hen I've named Nervous Nelly - she freaks out over the littlest thing, screeching and squawking!! The stray cat hasn't given up, however, and still prowls the top of the coop!

Attachments

• straycatprowl20210604.jpg
    straycatprowl20210604.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 7
If we are placing relative value, I often think the same thing about humans - too darned many of us overpopulating and overwhelming the planet, say, compared to a gorilla and some fool who carelessly let their offspring fall into a zoo enclosuree.... Our world his has a serious need for aggressive family planning.

That aside I also understand for some folks, a chicken is a meal or much more, and any loss can be dear. Not every senior or disabled person or just someone without work can afford to buy or cut fenceposts, buy wire or netting to surround an enclosure, or rope to string across a yard, or can even walk around a yard to reach up and string up old cds. I am lucky to make it to my barn where I used to have horses, but kidney transplant and stroke have made mobility very difficult for me. My hubby too was injured at work and disabled. Till last month when I finally got disability, we were living on $2200 CAD a month ($8000 below the poverty line in Canada) and were grateful for that because loads of folks around here live on less, and *significantly less. Now with my CPP disability coming in (first payment this month!!!)we are at the poverty level, yet consider ourselves fortunate and far better off - we won't go hungry or be cold this year for sure, and I am so grateful for all that we do have.

In a province where you can need home heating 7-8 months a year, where the closest grocery store is a 15 milse drive away, every meal can be vital, and just getting to a store costs money (car, fuel, insurance, maintenance). A smallish chicken here is now $8-12 at the store. Some folks are lucky to have a small shed or doghouse to house a few birds in, and free range them to save on feed.

I too respect raptors, all predators and prey, the environment. I also try to remember to put myself in the shoes of others.
I wear those shoes! I am a senior living with a mortgage , in a state where you need air conditioning 8 months of the year and heat 4 months , only social security income and a very slim margin for emergencies! I try and garden work(disabled) to still pick up cash , as my health allows, by selling produce from my garden! I heavily depend on the crops I still manage (with help from my grandson) to harvest for food in our house! My old truck just died after 18 years and I have no ability to replace it financially. I have lung impairment, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Anxiety disorder and claustrophobia, just to list a few woes. To add to the recent misery, two teeth (old crowns) just feel out and I have no way to see a dentist in my financial situation. A lot of us people struggle to make ends meet and survive. That does not excuse us from moral responsibility! I keep my chickens safe in covered runs now days because I can not tolerate predation. If one would kill a raptor, struggling to survive in todays world, to save a chicken running free, then they should not raise chickens! If people are starving, I can live with a person killing and eating anything they must, except other people. But justifying killing protected species of raptors over a chicken that could be otherwise protected, is coddling criminals and ignorance. A choice to free range chickens comes with responsibilities and a set of realities! First one should endeavor to understand the realities of free ranging chickens and suitable protections and limitations for doing so. An, I will do it my way and kill every threat to my chickens, is irresponsible ! I have free ranged with fair success and only lost birds occasionally. I loved watching them roam across my yard. Many ways to minimize risk, some are expensive and none give 100% safety. You must have the ability to tolerate some losses, occasionally, if free ranging! I never lost a bird in narrow 15ft. wide runs with 5 ft. sides and strings with ribbons or flash tape strung across every 10 to 15 feet , to raptors. I did lose some in front of my eyes while roaming freely the farm and to other predators(fox and dogs)who climbed in the runs. Responsibility, not excuses, carry more weight and are the intelligent adults moral and often legal decision. If you can not keep your chickens safe without killing eagles, owls and hawks, eat them(chickens) now! I got rid of my sheep and goats a few years ago because I could not take care of them anymore, including keeping up all the fencing, due to money and health. I used their meat and sales for living better, but had to let it go! Sorry that your family is having such a bad time and I sincerely hope you and your husband do well and are OK. Good luck.

I wear those shoes! I am a senior living with a mortgage , in a state where you need air conditioning 8 months of the year and heat 4 months , only social security income and a very slim margin for emergencies! I try and garden work(disabled) to still pick up cash , as my health allows, by selling produce from my garden! I heavily depend on the crops I still manage (with help from my grandson) to harvest for food in our house! My old truck just died after 18 years and I have no ability to replace it financially. I have lung impairment, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Anxiety disorder and claustrophobia, just to list a few woes. To add to the recent misery, two teeth (old crowns) just feel out and I have no way to see a dentist in my financial situation. A lot of us people struggle to make ends meet and survive. That does not excuse us from moral responsibility! I keep my chickens safe in covered runs now days because I can not tolerate predation. If one would kill a raptor, struggling to survive in todays world, to save a chicken running free, then they should not raise chickens! If people are starving, I can live with a person killing and eating anything they must, except other people. But justifying killing protected species of raptors over a chicken that could be otherwise protected, is coddling criminals and ignorance. A choice to free range chickens comes with responsibilities and a set of realities! First one should endeavor to understand the realities of free ranging chickens and suitable protections and limitations for doing so. An, I will do it my way and kill every threat to my chickens, is irresponsible ! I have free ranged with fair success and only lost birds occasionally. I loved watching them roam across my yard. Many ways to minimize risk, some are expensive and none give 100% safety. You must have the ability to tolerate some losses, occasionally, if free ranging! I never lost a bird in narrow 15ft. wide runs with 5 ft. sides and strings with ribbons or flash tape strung across every 10 to 15 feet , to raptors. I did lose some in front of my eyes while roaming freely the farm and to other predators(fox and dogs)who climbed in the runs. Responsibility, not excuses, carry more weight and are the intelligent adults moral and often legal decision. If you can not keep your chickens safe without killing eagles, owls and hawks, eat them(chickens) now! I got rid of my sheep and goats a few years ago because I could not take care of them anymore, including keeping up all the fencing, due to money and health. I used their meat and sales for living better, but had to let it go! Sorry that your family is having such a bad time and I sincerely hope you and your husband do well and are OK. Good luck.
We are doing okay. I don't believe I said I supported an "I will do it my way and kill every threat to my chickens", I believe what I said was that I try not to judge, and that I respect raptors and predators. Not judging, for me, means not condemning, but not necessarily supporting a behaviour or action, trying to understand that every situation is unique.

(ps: I sympathize with your health situation very much, and am glad you are managing to get along. I lost 2 years ago - two molars - a month after saving up for the root canals - they both fractured because the dentist put in cosmetic tooth-coloured plastic fillings on CHEWING surfaces, instead of silver amalgam. No refund or repair was offered. It's miserable!)

We are doing okay. I don't believe I said I supported an "I will do it my way and kill every threat to my chickens", I believe what I said was that I try not to judge, and that I respect raptors and predators. Not judging, for me, means not condemning, but not necessarily supporting a behaviour or action, trying to understand that every situation is unique.

(ps: I sympathize with your health situation very much, and am glad you are managing to get along. I lost 2 years ago - two molars - a month after saving up for the root canals - they both fractured because the dentist put in cosmetic tooth-coloured plastic fillings on CHEWING surfaces, instead of silver amalgam. No refund or repair was offered. It's miserable!)
Sorry, if you thought I accused You of doing it your way and killing raptors that threaten your chickens! I was referring to the idiots who suggest That, as a response to possible predation on chickens. I understand and have compassion for the elderly poor and disabled, being one now, myself, makes that even more real to me! The point is, there is no valid excuse, ever, for any reason, by anyone! Killing a common rat snake, mink, raccoon, opossum, skunk, fox etc. that attacks your birds, when you are attempting to provide a fenced and relatively safe coop and runs, is far different than killing raptors that are more easily protected from, rather than the other predators that can require a Fort Knox set up! No one should "free range" if they are unable to accept losses from predators or provide adequate(non lethal) raptor free security for their birds! You can keep chickens responsibly even when poor! Myself and thousands do.

If predators could read "Chickens eat free! No predators please!" a sign would stop them getting anymore free meals.
Sorry, if you thought I accused You of doing it your way and killing raptors that threaten your chickens! I was referring to the idiots who suggest That, as a response to possible predation on chickens. I understand and have compassion for the elderly poor and disabled, being one now, myself, makes that even more real to me! The point is, there is no valid excuse, ever, for any reason, by anyone! Killing a common rat snake, mink, raccoon, opossum, skunk, fox etc. that attacks your birds, when you are attempting to provide a fenced and relatively safe coop and runs, is far different than killing raptors that are more easily protected from, rather than the other predators that can require a Fort Knox set up! No one should "free range" if they are unable to accept losses from predators or provide adequate(non lethal) raptor free security for their birds! You can keep chickens responsibly even when poor! Myself and thousands do.

!

Back
Top Bottom