Hawk Strike

Just about any dog breed half again as big as a coyote can work. I have yet to loose a rooster fighting to defend flock from a Red-tailed Hawk. Think game rooster for real effort.

I reacted to the commotion so quickly on Wed, I didnt catch what Luigi was doing--running or fighting! All I saw was at least one or two birds sort of flying/hovering about 2' off the ground. One had to be the hawk, one might have been the roo-with wings flapping, Luigi is big and greyish. All the birds ended up in the garage bay, including Luigi, though he wasnt actually hiding, he was near the open door.
I do know he is very attentive to his girls and will go to them if he thinks they are in trouble (including from us!) One of his sons has the same attitude (attentive and pretty polite to the ladies, but still very young and non aggressive), we'll see, but he is safe from freezer camp at this point. The other 4 will have to go at some point--they are not polite to the ladies or terribly attentive.

My 2 german shepherds are house dogs, but out a lot with me. They treed their 1st racoon today--a youngster who visited our pond probably looking for frogs. I dont think I want a large guardian breed. I havent looked, but would love to consider a smaller guardian dog. Since chickens are the only stock I have right now--where does the dog sleep at night? In the coop?

I may get meat goats at some point--will they keep hawks from landing if they share the same pasture as the chickens? Also wonder if geese would be helpful (though I dont like them since they are aggressive and prone to trying to intimidate people!

Thanks for the suggestions. All the birds were able to free range today since we were out all day. Wears the roo out though since the girls spread out.

I reacted to the commotion so quickly on Wed, I didnt catch what Luigi was doing--running or fighting!  All I saw was at least one or two birds sort of flying/hovering about 2' off the ground.  One had to be the hawk, one might have been the roo-with wings flapping, Luigi is big and greyish.  All the birds ended up in the garage bay, including Luigi, though he wasnt actually hiding, he was near the open door. 
 I do know he is very attentive to his girls and will go to them if he thinks they are in trouble (including from us!)  One of his sons has the same attitude (attentive and pretty polite to the ladies, but still very young and non aggressive), we'll see, but he is safe from freezer camp at this point.  The other 4 will have to go at some point--they are not polite to the ladies or terribly attentive.

My 2 german shepherds are house dogs, but out a lot with me.  They treed their 1st racoon today--a youngster who visited our pond probably looking for frogs.  I dont think I want a large guardian breed.  I havent looked, but would love to consider a smaller guardian dog.  Since chickens are the only stock I have right now--where does the dog sleep at night?  In the coop?

I may get meat goats at some point--will they keep hawks from landing if they share the same pasture as the chickens?  Also wonder if geese would be helpful (though I dont like them since they are aggressive and prone to trying to intimidate people!

Thanks for the suggestions.  All the birds were able to free range today since we were out all day.  Wears the roo out though since the girls spread out.

Goats will not be effective and not all dogs, even individuals of standard use LGD breeds can be slackers on that account.

Dog could sleep in coop or doghouse near coop or even a barn. I like so dog has good line of sight on where chickens free-range. Dogs need to be quick in reacting but will not generally operate with chickens like they do larger livestock that tends to herd up tighter, especially when threatened. Dog just needs to deny hawk chance to grapple and handle chicken on ground for ore than a minute of so to be effective. Hawk will not waste time hunting if probability of getting meal is low.

Geese can work against many raptors including red-tailed hawks but they will not go out of their way like a dog to do so.

Back
Top Bottom