Hawk threatening chickens

Yolko Ono

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2019
A coop with 2 chickens came with my new FL house. We are really enjoying them and how they follow us wherever we go.

However there was a third chicken that got taken by a hawk before we took ownership. There's a hawk doing fly-bys and the chickens, which have full access to the fenced backyard, hide under the deck.

How to keep them safe? I don't want to keep them cooped up.

Welcome to BYC! The hawk will surely return. Do the chickens have a fenced run you could keep them in, at least temporarily? A hawk will be deterred by a fenced in area covered w inexpensive bird netting. Maybe a corner of the yard could be used for this?

:welcome :frow A long as you free range them be prepared to eventually loose some. Chickens aren't as smart as many people give them credit for being and it's not cruel to keep them in a nice run/pen. I have free ranged in the past and have lost birds. I have sold some birds to people who free ranged their birds and the predators always found them and ended up killing them then the people would be back for more birds. I hate selling my birds to someone who keep feeding them to the predators. All of my birds have nice large pens. Now when I let them out they may come out of the pen gate but before long they are back in their pens. I think they feel safer in them. All of my pens are large and covered with netting due to losses in the past. I know my birds are safe. Good luck and have fun...

A coop with 2 chickens came with my new FL house. We are really enjoying them and how they follow us wherever we go.

However there was a third chicken that got taken by a hawk before we took ownership. There's a hawk doing fly-bys and the chickens, which have full access to the fenced backyard, hide under the deck.

How to keep them safe? I don't want to keep them cooped up.

On advise of neighbors, I have done a couple of things:
Ordered 2 plastic owls in the belief that they will act as a deterrent
Ordered 19" hologram pinwheels
And netting, which I hope to not need but will have.

The owls won't work. Here is a picture from a BYC member @aart.
1591480-412578ceb1193bb4d60531a390021be1.jpg

Ordered a 30 x 13 net. Gonna limit their meanderings but, I guess it's necessary. How to contain them?

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC!

Get your money back on the owls and put up the netting. I tried the owl too and it didn't save my chickens. The netting did. My chickens do have a very large run, and believe me they don't want to come out and free range. I can go in and leave the gate open and they wont come out. They like feeling safe. The eagles here terrify them because before the netting they were attacked. Chickens are such defenseless little creatures. I think they really just want to think about food, shelter and the pecking order in their flock. I love seeing them strut around feeling safe. Perhaps you can put up netting over your whole back yard. I don't know how big it is but this one sold at Amazon will cover 2500 sq ft.
COMPATH Bird Netting Heavy Duty Garden Net Protect Plants and Fruit Trees Protective Netting 2.4" Square Mesh Size (50'×50')
by COMPATH
31 customer reviews

| 6 answered questions

Amazon'sChoicefor "bird netting" above $30

List Price: $56.99
Price: $37.99 FREE One-Day & FREE Returns
You Save: $19.00 (33%)

Back
Top Bottom