Hawk versus Rooster. Does this happen? What makes a "good" rooster?

Is that your rooster in the picture, in front of the chalk board? If so, he's either an Easter egger or Welsummer.

Yes, that's our Egger. We have been wondering which one he is, an Easter Egger or a Welsummer. I'll have my wife take new pics of him now that he's all filled out with glorious coloring and big feathers. He's my fav out of the bunch even though he doesn't provide any eggs. I guess in an indirect way HE DOES provide eggs by looking over the flock. Here are some older pics we took back when we weren't sure if he was turning into a rooster or not.
upload_2019-1-2_8-21-33.png

upload_2019-1-2_8-22-46.png

Last edited:
Our first Bantam rooster fought off a hawk and I guess lives because I saw it happening and ran to help. He always warned his little flock with sound. The 2nd attack he unfortunately fought to his death. It was pretty gross. He put up a good fight. His son is always on the look out for predators and sounds off when he sees something and the girls run for cover. Dad was super friendly and we could pick him up. Son not so much. He runs from us.

Not sure why my above post only showed 2 of the 3 photos. Maybe you are only allowed 2 per post on this forum? It showed the 3rd image as a link asking me to "view attachment" and when I clicked the link to ensure it would work for everyone else viewing, it opened a new tab with an error message saying I did not have permission to view my own photo. Weird! I deleted the attachment and am reposting the image by itself here hoping to work around whatever issues this site is having. Here is our Roo Egger at 2.5 months old. He is now 7 months old.

upload_2019-1-2_8-34-8.png

Personally, I don't want a rooster for fighting off hawks and other predators. To me, that's not fair to ask of a bird, because likely more than half the time, if he manages to scare off the predator, he's gonna end up dead regardless. I'd rather keep my birds safe than hope for fighting. Then again, I spent a fair bit of money for my new male, so you're darn tootin I'm not throwing him outside unprotected.

Personally, I don't want a rooster for fighting off hawks and other predators. To me, that's not fair to ask of a bird, because likely more than half the time, if he manages to scare off the predator, he's gonna end up dead regardless. I'd rather keep my birds safe than hope for fighting. Then again, I spent a fair bit of money for my new male, so you're darn tootin I'm not throwing him outside unprotected.
When works the way it is supposed to, there is no real fight. rather simply a stand off where hawk has impression it is not worth effort to pursue issue. The rooster must stand is ground and display for that to work, not just cut and run.

Back
Top Bottom