Hawk versus Rooster. Does this happen? What makes a "good" rooster?

Yes ma’am! I have a hen that never ceases to amaze me. A feral cat came in the yard. My Roo just stood there-looking. My LH came running full blast beat the crap outta the cat..ran it down a couple times! She’d beat up Roosters 3x’s her size. Not fight I mean beat them! Crazy

This is similar to what I have seen. Raptor is more like the North American Coopers Hawk or Sharp-shinned Hawk, as in between with respect to size. it was also damaged.
Humans role not legal in North America. Dog's role is a bit iffy on legal side.

The roosters interest is in protecting his genes. He isn’t all that bothered about the hens safety unless it’s one of his favorites he regularly mates with. All the roosters here will give the predator warning call but after that they will try to take cover with the hens. The reason most rooster die is due to miscalculation and/or being the last to take cover and thus becoming the predators target, or attacking the predator. Rooster attacking predators is pretty rare in my experience.
Roosters are equipped to fight other roosters; they are usually at a massive disadvantage to say a gos hawk or even a weasel. The attacks I’ve seen by a rooster have been after a hawk has struck. The rooster sees a hawk on top of one of his hens and launches an attack. It would be interesting to know exactly why this is. Perhaps he views the hawk attack as mating competition.
Roosters will protect mothers and chicks I’ve assumed because of further his genes; if the chicks survive his genes go forward.
The only chickens I know of here that have attacked a hawk and lived have been hens protecting their chicks.
Roosters are great as watching and warning but I read with some skepticism stories of rooster bravery and driving off predators; it is usually not in their interest, there are plenty of other hens putting it brutally.

I’ve watched/lived with the chickens here for eight years. I spend on average 4 to 5 hours a day with one or other group. In all this time I have only seen 3 hawk attacks from start to finish and I get at least one attack per month; many are aborted and others interrupted as I’ve heard the general panic call.
Ground predators, if they are any good, you hardly ever see. This is how they are successful. Even when I’ve seen the chickens escaping a ground predator attack I rarely see the culprit.

So, in my experience brave roosters are a wishful myth. Desperate roosters forced to fight for their lives more common and most will run away given the chance...........well you would wouldn’t you.....

I have seen this numerous times with my games, except the games just stand taller and do not move off. The hawk is not after the chickens in my setting, rather it is trying to get jump on song birds.
The white and black bird appears to be a rooster, notice is his role. He is not one of my games, looks like a Easter Egger.

The roosters interest is in protecting his genes. He isn’t all that bothered about the hens safety unless it’s one of his favorites he regularly mates with. All the roosters here will give the predator warning call but after that they will try to take cover with the hens. The reason most rooster die is due to miscalculation and/or being the last to take cover and thus becoming the predators target, or attacking the predator. Rooster attacking predators is pretty rare in my experience.
Roosters are equipped to fight other roosters; they are usually at a massive disadvantage to say a gos hawk or even a weasel. The attacks I’ve seen by a rooster have been after a hawk has struck. The rooster sees a hawk on top of one of his hens and launches an attack. It would be interesting to know exactly why this is. Perhaps he views the hawk attack as mating competition.
Roosters will protect mothers and chicks I’ve assumed because of further his genes; if the chicks survive his genes go forward.
The only chickens I know of here that have attacked a hawk and lived have been hens protecting their chicks.
Roosters are great as watching and warning but I read with some skepticism stories of rooster bravery and driving off predators; it is usually not in their interest, there are plenty of other hens putting it brutally.

I’ve watched/lived with the chickens here for eight years. I spend on average 4 to 5 hours a day with one or other group. In all this time I have only seen 3 hawk attacks from start to finish and I get at least one attack per month; many are aborted and others interrupted as I’ve heard the general panic call.
Ground predators, if they are any good, you hardly ever see. This is how they are successful. Even when I’ve seen the chickens escaping a ground predator attack I rarely see the culprit.

So, in my experience brave roosters are a wishful myth. Desperate roosters forced to fight for their lives more common and most will run away given the chance...........well you would wouldn’t you.....
Adjust your sex ratio to natural, you will see something more. Then do it over many years.

Here another interaction that is a lot more interesting that most realize. The raptor used for educational event goes off mission after what appears to be a hen near end of viewing range. Other chickens and even what looks like shepherd-type dog then went to seen with chickens attacking the hawk. The raptor is also an accipitor that looks like on the large end of what the North American Coopers Hawk look like.

I have hens that have fought off Cooper’s hawks numerous times. One in particular has done it twice that I’ve seen. The hawk missed on impact and chased the hen around a little pine tree. Finally she quit running, turned on the hawk and knocked him into the dirt twice before the hawk flew off.

This video is not pleasant so do not watch if soft.

This is a hen that looks like an oriental game attacking a crow of some sort. The crow appears immature may have health issues. Crow was defending itself better that Coopers Hawk could against one of my game hens. I think the hen in video would treat a similar sized raptor in the same manner with same outcome.

Back
Top Bottom