My roosters injured a hawk what do I do?

Pics

145chuckens

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2024
A hawk attacked my chickens. A white splash mix. Anyway my roosters and a couple of my hens teamed up on it and attacked it. I didn't think they could do that. I just looked outside and saw a bunch of flapping and heard a lot of squawking. And when I got to the pen the hawk was on the ground and the chickens were attacking it.
I'm assuming that the hawk came down and attacked the white splash hen and then the other chickens came in to rescue her. Anyway now the hawk is badly injured lay in my chicken run near the coop
I really don't think it will make it. What do I do with it? Do I try to pick it up and put it in the woods and just let nature take its course? Do I get someone to put it out of its misery? It's illegal to kill them but this one's just laying there suffering. Do I need to call someone?

Ok what do I tell them? I mean it's really obvious to me that the hawk was attacked by chickens but what if they think that I did it? I'm sure that if they looked at it they could see that it's injuries were caused by the chickens. I don't know maybe I'm just worrying too much. I never expected this to happen.
Tell them a hawk attacked your livestock amd the livestock fought back.

A hawk attacked my chickens. A white splash mix. Anyway my roosters and a couple of my hens teamed up on it and attacked it. I didn't think they could do that. I just looked outside and saw a bunch of flapping and heard a lot of squawking. And when I got to the pen the hawk was on the ground and the chickens were attacking it.
I'm assuming that the hawk came down and attacked the white splash hen and then the other chickens came in to rescue her. Anyway now the hawk is badly injured lay in my chicken run near the coop
I really don't think it will make it. What do I do with it? Do I try to pick it up and put it in the woods and just let nature take its course? Do I get someone to put it out of its misery? It's illegal to kill them but this one's just laying there suffering. Do I need to call someone?
G
Ok what do I tell them? I mean it's really obvious to me that the hawk was attacked by chickens but what if they think that I did it? I'm sure that if they looked at it they could see that it's injuries were caused by the chickens. I don't know maybe I'm just worrying too much. I never expected this to happen.
Hopefully the hawk is just gone now. Frankly, I wouldn't make the call. Tell your chickens I am very proud of them for the defeat.

The hen that got attacked is ok. They are all looking very proud of their selves. The hawk died right before I called. So I decided to just take it and put it down in the woods far away from the chicken run so I wouldn't attract any creatures. I guess some animal will have a meal tonight. Anyway when I went outside and saw that it was dead I noticed that it was COVERED in mites! They where climbing all over it I didn't notice them when it was alive so I guess that when it died they realized that they had to find a live animal to live on. I'm worried though what if they spread to my chickens. I'm not sure how long it was laying there dead. What should I do to help insure that my chickens don't get the mites?

The hen that got attacked is ok. They are all looking very proud of their selves. The hawk died right before I called. So I decided to just take it and put it down in the woods far away from the chicken run so I wouldn't attract any creatures. I guess some animal will have a meal tonight. Anyway when I went outside and saw that it was dead I noticed that it was COVERED in mites! They where climbing all over it I didn't notice them when it was alive so I guess that when it died they realized that they had to find a live animal to live on. I'm worried though what if they spread to my chickens. I'm not sure how long it was laying there dead. What should I do to help insure that my chickens don't get the mites?
Do you have any Prozap?

Impressive chickens!
Your birds likely do have mites now, and in the USA there's permethrin spray, permethrin dust, or spinosad spray. All work fine, your local feed/ farm store should have the permethrin. In mild weather the spray is least expensive and easiest to use.
That hawk was likely debilitated because of it's mite overload, contributing to it's hunting failure. Your birds definitely won that round! Just get the permethrin and treat them, and spray the inside of the coop.
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom